Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: frames?

sounds like you want the same layout as your fathers, but added, a right side menu ... as everyone mentioned, and i have the same answer as everyone, use frame sets ...

don't know if this helps but this is how i do e'm

1.) create a new page in dreamweaver, and in the toolbar, the default set of tools being 'common', just click on the drop down and select the 'frames' toolset
    2.) select the frames you want layed out in the page, in your case i'd select the top. the left, and right
    3.) after selecting the frames for the page, save it as a frameset
    using the 'file>save frameset as' (ie. index.html)
    ( this page will hold information on how your frames are set
    4.) next ... you need to save the rest of the frames (html pages) that you've created ... 'file>save all'... in doing so, dreamweaver will save them all in order, with borders appearing to the current frame (html page) being saved ...

from there you can edit the separate pages on their own, or edit them all at once, if you open the frameset page.

still not entirely sure if this was helpful but, it seems you just want the same layout as you're fathers site, just with an added right menu (frame) cheers

i use webmonkey alot, and a few others through 'google'
    http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/...site_building/
    as well as the documentaion that comes with dreamweaver
    excuse this if it wasn't useful for you
    Last edited by upsidedown; 05-03-2003 at 06:10 PM.
    "imperfection makes perfection" I. Noguchi

I'd keep the table and use SSI. It isn't the most efficient method, but it would work nicely, I think.

You don't understand, I don't want to use frames, I just want to load another page in that table.
    to:upsidedown = I alrady used that for the sourcelight's new design. It's almost ready but I have to translate it English and Romanian.
    toemondo = what's SSI, and how do I use it.

oic, you wanted to load a page into a table, you should've mentioned that earlier, totally different sentence as to you're original post...
    page into a table though, i don't see it happening, a table is a table, and a html page, is a html page, it's either one or the other although if there is one, i'd like to see that anyhow, good luck with this one ...
    "imperfection makes perfection" I. Noguchi

You'll need some sort of server side support to achieve that. What server side support do you have?

EDIT: You could do this with javascript as well. Create an external .js file to write the links to the page with document.write(). You could put the links in an array, so editing becomes easier. All files could use this script file.
    Last edited by keithathaide; 05-04-2003 at 01:07 PM.
    Forget the username, call me Keith

SSI is Server Side Include or something. Basically you write a .txt (I think it could be other formats as well) of HTML code and call it, so it'll be added to every page. Basically if something is on every page, and you don't want to have really big HTML files, you use SSI and you can call it via a line of text. Your files will need to be .shtml though.

Can you help me. I don't now a thing about java script.

Mayabe I'll do it with server side include? Can you help me?

Please don't double post use the edit button instead. As for using SSI the following tutorials hould help: http://www.bignosebird.com/ssi.shtml you'd probably want the Include Directive tutorial.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12