Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: max<-->UEditor

3DSMax skeleton Import/Export

Hi all,

As you will notice from my number of posts I have just joined in on the fun! I recently bought UT 2004 DVD edition from Amazon.co.uk thinking it was the special version with the VTM's etc and was dissapointed when I got it. The game is great tho and the first version I have bought since UT GOTY.

However I'm more interested in the modding capability of the Unreal engine. This is hindered by the fact I don't have the VTMs of course and I can't find any UK stores even online that are selling it (if anyone knows of one please advise).

I use Max and have done for long enough not to want to switch to something like Maya. What I need right now is the skeletal systems for the characters so that I can use the default animations mixed with my own. I followed the link above for FILEPLANET, signed up and to my dissapointment it appears you can only d/l them if you sign up for a subscription. Is there anywhere else to get these files or are they available on the Editor's Choice Edition DVD?

I haven't let this stop me from trying tho, I managed to get a .psk mesh into Milkshape then save it as a .3DS open it in MAX and then create a biped inside the mesh to approximate the right size skeleten It was surprisingly succsesful but certainly not perfect. No amount of tweaking is going to get me a perfect bone structure either. Specifially the neck is too long and the head slightly too small. Not being an expert on such things I can only assume this is to do with the scale of the bones?

Thanks for any response

I seem to be able to download them from fileplanet, and I have never subscribed. Though I did join a loooong time ago.

LINK:
    http://www.fileplanet.com/hosteddl.a...characters.zip

they are the 2003 characters, but the are the same.

also, you might want to check the page below:
    http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/topic....e&TOPIC_ID=114

Quote Originally Posted by UnrealTrance
    Hi all,
    I recently bought UT 2004 DVD edition from Amazon.co.uk thinking it was the special version with the VTM's etc and was dissapointed when I got it.
    However I'm more interested in the modding capability of the Unreal engine. This is hindered by the fact I don't have the VTMs of course and I can't find any UK stores even online that are selling it (if anyone knows of one please advise).
    Is there anywhere else to get these files or are they available on the Editor's Choice Edition DVD?
    Unrealtrance, try Ebay. I'm in Australia and I recently got my DVD from California. Make sure to check if they ship internationally (many of them do).

I don't believe that the player models come unpackaged and ready for 3dsMax in the DVD version. You can download the 2003 versions from Fileplanet if you just need the model reference for weapon modelling.

Hope this helps, and good luck getting the DVD!
    ./covert.c.

hey guys, I'm having some problems with my static meshes. importing goes just fine but my textures always seem to get very light:S like too light on my meshes. does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

From Unreal Editor to max -
    1. Open whatever you're exporting
    2. File->save as-> filename.obj (make sure you've got .obj and not .t3d)
    3. Once you have the file in obj format, open Max (or maya) and do a file->import and import the obj. Voila.
    I have been trying to figure out how they got the character model out of UEd and into 3DS Max for the UT Weapon VTM, but neither this method you mention, nor any others I can think of seem to work!? I am using UnrealEd 2 (as bundled with UT2004) and can locate a model of "Jacob" (the default male model) with his arms out, but I cant seem to get any models with a charcter in firing position. These all seem to be accessed through the Animations browser, but there is'nt any way to export models from there!? Can anyone help??

Also, now that my 30-day trial of the oh-so overpriced 3DS Max has expired and can no-longer 'legally' use it (try as I might to start another trial period after uninstalling and removing registry entries etc.)...I am now having to switch to Maya PLE (why can't they produce a 3DS Max PLE????), I'm guessing the best thing for me to do if I want to cross-reference the "UT Weapons in 3DS Max" VTM to a Maya environment is to watch through all of the modelling VTM's for Maya???

Edit:
    I recently bought UT 2004 DVD edition from Amazon.co.uk thinking it was the special version with the VTM's etc and was dissapointed when I got it. The game is great tho and the first version I have bought since UT GOTY.

UnrealTrance, I had the exact same thing happen to me...so I muddled through with written tuts trawled of the Web, but then someone told me about 3DBuzz and I found all th UT VTM's they had! I am pretty sure that they are the VTM's that feature on the UT2004 Editors Choice DVD (based on the fact that 3DBuzz were credited for the UnrealEd 3 VTM's that come on the UT3 Collectors Edition) You'll find them by going to the "Video Training" tab (above) and looking under "Unreal Technology"
    Last edited by DrFreemanstein; 02-08-2008 at 10:46 AM.

You can try to use my 'umodel' program to export Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 mesh and animation (few other games are supported too) from ukx package into ActorX (psk/psa) format.

Web page is:
    look at "downloads" section for Windows or Linux version.

Quick examples (more on homepage, "command line" section):
    To export resource, use the following command line:
    umodel -path=c:/games/ut2004 -export HumanMaleA MercMaleD
    umodel -path=c:/games/ut2004 -export HumanMaleA BipedMaleA
    umodel -path=c:/games/ut2004 -export HumanMaleA
    Here:
    • c:/games/ut2004 - path to Unreal Tournament installation directory
    • HumanMaleA - ukx package name for resource lookup
    • MercMaleD, BipedMaleA - resource names (may be seen in UnrealEd)
    Last edited by Konstantin; 08-06-2008 at 09:20 AM. Reason: updated homepage

quote from xarius:
    "From Max to UE -
    Export your object as an .ase file. Open Unreal, go to your static mesh browser. import."
    Does this same method work for Maya 8.5 PLE?

I tried to import a mesh from UnrealEditor to Max 2009 (I save the mesh as an obj file) and Max do'n tfin a thing to import. What did you this export?

Question

Hello,

I exported some meshes from Unreal 3 Editor, in OBJ format and I can't view them in 3ds max (2009).

in Max, the polygon count shows me the correct number, but in the viewport I have only some big triangles (I tried to unhide poligons/objects/layers but it's not this the problem...I think)

the map that I tried to export it, you can find it HERE

Iamstill workingmythrought Unreal,using Books 1 and 2 sold onAmazon. I amintending maling a game around farming ,crops and cattle station.Its only a couple of thosand acres,whee I started to tink maybe unity but id rather stick with UDK. Ypo can build a lot of stuff by i noticed now that imlearning Blender maybe I can builsd assets for the came better withBlender or a mix of both. I just built a desktop.AMD Quad ore and very overlockable. I got onboard ATI graphicsso if its not fast enough Ill try out an AMD 6 core, I use suns vmware ithinktorun linux Suse/ Pluse I loved SUSE. Ununto is proably just as good
    On the new destop i am half way troughbulding, Imgoing to be usin Win7, Liux and maybe anoher, ?? Wanted to buy a mac but vor now Win and Linux is a lot of fun.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast