Question Are 3D Buzz Books Still Good?

Hello everyone, I was wondering if the 3D Buzz books on Unreal can still be used with UDK or are they way to outdated.
    If they are outdated what are some books that are up to date with most recent version and have the same amount of quality as the 3D Buzz books?

Thanks to anyone that can help!

There is the alternative to the book and is much fresher. The -just ended- UDK 101 Fundamentals course. It is available to member sponsors for streaming and covers everything in an easy and concise manner - I participated in it-. Also, my own take on it, there will be the probable future udk 102 (after the maya 101 & blender 102 courses end; they start soon). Have to mention that to get an accurate response about this -udk 102- topic, it is best to pm Zak.

The first session (of the six sessions for this course) that is available for free (as a demo):
    http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showth...-now-available!

The outline for the -just ended- udk course which is available for streaming only:
    http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?192446

As for your question about the book, every now and then this question shows up and a bunch of people say:

- slightly outdated -some changes arrise in how you do things-
    - valuable informations;
    - some topics that are difficult (as particles?, materials?) are very concise and still valid.

Maybe someone -that actually read the books- will correct me but that is how I remember reading the said question topics.

I still use them from time to time as a reference if I forget how to do something. It's just important to learn the differences between UT3 editor and the UDK editor so you know what is different, i.e. content browser, some ui elements, lightmass, etc. Also keep in mind that most of the UT3 assets have been striped out of UDK so you may not have some of the assets that the Mastering Unreal Technology books tell you to use. They are still an invaluable tool for me and I would like to see new books in the series but Buzz, Zak and Jeff have all made it clear they won't be doing any more.

Thanks for your replies! I am going to look into being a Member Sponsor, but if I become a member and want to register for classes are
    there limits on the number of people that can register (Just wanted to know so if buy it I won't be ripped off by not being able to get into the class).
    Last edited by CreativeHD; 06-11-2012 at 12:54 PM.

if I become a member and want to register for classes are there limits on the number of people that can register
    There is a 1000 seat limit(?) so I think there isn't the risk of being left outside but that is my take on it. I didn't encounter a single case where I was left outside and I did register for most of the courses.

Quote Originally Posted by florem View Post
    There is a 1000 seat limit(?) so I think there isn't the risk of being left outside but that is my take on it. I didn't encounter a single case where I was left outside and I did register for most of the courses.
    Alright thank you for the reply!

This is just my humble opinion, but if you're on the fence about member sponsership, I'll share my experience. I only recently became a member sponser but have been a free member for some time, I also have several of the dvd's. Outside of 3dbuzz, I have been through a number of tutorials for 3ds max, maya, photoshop, udk, and unity. I have also taken a classroom course in 3ds max. So, i've tried a few options over the last 1.5 years. That being said, this is my take on the services offered by Jason, Zak, and Co.

Alot of the courses / tutorials i have taken elsewhere have left me with an incomplete grasp of alot of the functions of said program. This is NOT the case with a 3dbuzz class/video/book/dvd. Zak and Jason REALLY know their stuff and go above and beyond to impart as much practical knowledge as possible on any given subject. If you manage to pose a question they can't answer (I've seen this just once, ever.) They admit they don't know, and then point you in the right direction to find out for yourself.

I work 50-60 hours a week, have kids, play in a bar abnd almost every weekend for extra cash, and am ALWAYS tired. That said, I find book learning very difficult to even stay awake for and use them mostly for reference rather than learning. let's face it, most instructional books are flat-out boring! And unfortunately, so is ALOT of the video instruction out there. Again, NOT the case here. the 3dbuzz staff present material in a very engaging, and often humorous, fashion. Even when a live class has lasted 4+ hours I have never had any problem staying awake or interested in the lecture. They're just plain fun to do. Learning, and more importantly, retaining subject matter is alot easier when you're having fun, and these guys know it.

The UDK live class assignments were doable, but challenging. This is not a free ride, nor would we want one. I feel that most of the "fundamentals" courses here are a bit of a misnomer. Having finished the UDK course, I would say my skill level is in the mid to upper intermediate level. Not bad for fundamentals.

As a MS, you also get access to ALL of the streaming videos on site. That's more useable instruction than you will find at alot of four year colleges. For 35 bucks a month. needless to say, the only 3d expense that I have budgeted for every month is 3dbuzz. Some things are just a no-brainer. As you can see, couldn't recommend Sponsership enough. you'll be crazy happy if join us here. I promise.

As for the books, by all means get them. Yes there are some differences between UT3 and UDK, and you may have to search around a bit for some things to figure it out. But the theory is solid, and VERY complete, and they are excellent companions for reference. ok, that was windy but I hope it helps you decide!

The theory in the books is mostly correct, however the actually techniques will differ. Usually the new documentation is over on the UDN.

Member sponsorship rocks. Not only would you get the UDK stuff, but all the rest of the programming and 3d art videos as well!

Thanks to everyone that replied. I decided to get the Member Sponsor status and so pumped to start learning, just have to wait to be verified.