Thread: Apache Guidance

Apache Guidance

Hey, great stuff 3d buzz is going to release vtm's for php and mySQL, something i've wanted to learn for a long time. I'm going to be using a spare machine i have running win 2k pro. I want to install Apache and configure it for PHP. Any really good resources for setting and running the server on a Windows platform? Nearly everything i've found is Linux related.

Thanks for any help.

....just a thought....

If you want a stable, less hassling system, I would wipe the box and go to linux personally. I use win2k for one of my main machines, but there are ALOT LESS quirks if you setup a linux server (i use Red Hat 7.2) with apache/php/mysql than trying to use them on a win2k box...

Just a recommendation...

-Patrick
    Patrick Hartnett
    http://www.e-dbapps.com
    patrick@e-dbapps.com

Thanks and i appreciate it would be better. Just have limited experience of Linux, i do have redhat, i'm not sure i want to go through all the hassles of learning Linux. I did have it installed before but i'm sure i had probs with my Road runner connection. I may give it a try again,

Thanks.

Unless this is a production box, I see no problems with loading it with Windows 2000 and running Apache/PHP/MySQL on it. Just remember to patch, patch, patch and to disable/uninstall IIS! I use it myself on a dev box and it works fine.

Here's a quick installation guide:
    1. Download Apache from a local mirror. Grab Apache 1.3.24 as PHP support under Apache 2 is still a bit flaky. You are looking for a file named apache_1.3.24-win32-x86-no_src.msi. You'll find it in the httpd/binaries/win32/ directory.
    2. Follow these installation instructions. The thickbook.com site is basically just a rewrite of the official instructions that you'll find here and here.
    3. Download and install MySQL. Get the file named Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP (12M). You'll find it under the heading Windows downloads.
    If you feel that a manual installation is too daunting a task (personally I don't so), there are several prepackaged installations out there that contain Apache/PHP/MySQL in one big, easy package. Try either PHPTriad or EasyPHP.

Feel free to ask questions if there's something that isn't working. Just remember to provide enough details.
    "The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't." --Douglas Adams

Thanks a lot. It is just going to be for development, to leanr both PHP and mySQL. Those links are a great help. Thanks again.