Thread: Is it possible

Is it possible

I have been thinking on what language to learn for some time and javascript seemed like a good choice, but im not sure if you can only use it to work within HTML and other web languages or if it can be used to make programs too. This would affect my descision.
    Also, does anyone know any good books on Javascript that would be good for a begginer?
    Thanks

java is actually a very powerful language that can be incorporated into webpages and is also used to make programs

chip3d

nice

Thanks,
    Have you ever had any books that you found useful whe learning?

there is a difference between javascript & java

javascript is the language for websites

and java is for writting programs

the languages are not exactly the same u may find it confusing to try learn them both

JavaScript is perfect for applications... erhm i actually mean webbased applications

I'm currently building a Object Oriented (as far as it can be done with JS though) GUI for the client side of a webbased document management system with it... and i can assure you: it rocks

But if you want to unleash the full power of JavaScript (or in my case JScript) you'll need COM/ActiveX or another serverside technology to back it up (eg. for establishing database connections, XML/XSLT parsing etc.)

Hope this answer helped you a bit

Actually, if you are also planning to learn a server-side language that will complement Javascript, consider learning PHP. I build most of my online toys using a combination of Javascript/DHTML for the client-side (ie: the browser) and PHP on the server-side. It all boils down to where the code gets processed, PHP processes first on the server, and then once the page is there at the viewers browser, that's when Javascript makes it go.

You can also use Java for both client-side applets and also for server-side code (called "servlets"). A combination of both these aspects can be very powerful, but you need a server that is ready for building Java servlets, not always easy to find for cheap.

If I were you, I'd first learn Javascript, it's the simplest, and serves as a good introduction to all the other coding platforms. For books, it's hard to go wrong with the O'Reilly series, try this one, JavaScript Definitive Guide , that will serve you as a good "bible". You can also find some good tutes at the Gurus Network, lots of good material there.

Once you learn the basics of Javascript, you can start tying in some server code to your web applications, I like PHP and MySQL for this as they're open-source and widely available on all Apache/Unix servers, and the code is very open and easy to get at. Good luck to you!

Your pal, -doc-

thanx for those sites