Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Having problems creating Image planes?

One thing I hate about XSI is its inability to use image planes effectively. I want to keep my image planes textured and have my model a wireframe. Using the rotoscope option is too much of a pain and it doesn’t show up in the perspective. So after some experimentation I finally figured it out and I thought I might share it with you. There might be an easier ways to do the same thing but this works consistently. If you follow the steps below it should work out for you:

1) Start XSI. Under the Model toolbar go to Primitive -> Surface -> Grid

2) After you create the grid you will be presented with a window with some general parameters for the grid. Before you move on determine the height and width of the image you want to use in pixels. Now change the grid U and V length to match the image size. This will keep the image ratio for you. For example if we have an image with a height of 100 pixels and width of 50 pixels, our V length will be 100 and U will be 50. Later you will scale the image down to where you need it. You can close this window now.

3) In each view port, change it from wireframe to textured decal. And Un-check override object properties.

4) Press ‘5’ and browse to where your image is stored. Drag and drop it on the grid. You will now be presented with a new window with your image shown in it. Close the Browser window but keep the new texture window open.

5) Under the texture projections click the new button. You should be presented with a list, choose planar XZ. If your grid was rotated in the XY plane you would choose planar XY. Close all windows.

6) Press ‘7’. Double click on the node with the name of your image on it. Under the FX tab click “Enable Image FX’s”. And adjust the properties of your image as you see fit. Close all windows.

7) Now you can scale down your grids uniformly. If you want, you can assign each image plane to a layer now. And move them into place.

8) Create a sphere. It should be displayed as shaded, but we want it to be in wireframe mode while keeping the image planes in a textured mode. We need to be in a mixed mode of display.

9) Change over to the palettes toolbar. Using the small set of buttons to the bottom left. Press the second button from the left.

10) Under display types click the ‘W’, left click the sphere, then right click to finish.

You should now have a wireframe sphere and a textured grid.

How about using the imageplane script available here:

http://www.edharriss.com/XSIscripts/...s_modeling.htm

I suppose you can use a script, if you want to do it the easy way. Just Kidding. Does the script set up the viewports to display in mixed mode (ie shaded image planes and wireframe model)? Because thats really where I was going with my original post, and the hardest for me to figure it out. I just layed out all the steps to help anyone out that needed it. But thanks for the link to the script.

Haven't used the script myself and I don't have XSI installed at the moment to try it out so maybe you could let us know if it addresses some, or maybe all, of the steps you had kindly listed.

Originally posted by Legoman
    Haven't used the script myself and I don't have XSI installed at the moment to try it out so maybe you could let us know if it addresses some, or maybe all, of the steps you had kindly listed.
    I will try it out tonight and let you know.

the first displayed method is how I do it :|
    it isn't much different from how I used to do it over at Max or Maya..

another thing you should mention is, this will be 10 times easier if your Grid ratio matches your image ratio..
    i.e. if you image is 500 by 300..
    make the grid size 50 by 30, etc...

Gametag: Monkeychop
    Live Games: Rally Sport Challenge2, Full Spectrum Warrior (authentic only), PRG2

Originally posted by scootch
    the first displayed method is how I do it :|
    it isn't much different from how I used to do it over at Max or Maya..

another thing you should mention is, this will be 10 times easier if your Grid ratio matches your image ratio..
    i.e. if you image is 500 by 300..
    make the grid size 50 by 30, etc...
    That is step number 2. But I think you described it better than I did. Thanks

Cheers for the info guys.
    -:Sanguis bibimus:-
    -:Corpus edimus:-
    -:Tolle corpus satani:-
    -:Ave versus cristus:-
    ---:Ave santani:---

Fantastic! Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I need to do to mimic IchI's image tracing technique from his Beretta 9000 3dsmax video tutorial, right? It's too late for me to try this tonight, but I had a go at translating his technique over to XSIexp-for-HL2 myself the other day and it was painful.. I'm still n00bin' er hard..

BTW: I think it'd be insanely helpful if some kind soul could translate all the operations IchI used in that Beretta tut. ...Just basically a short list of commands. I found myself chuckling at times while watching those videos because I was so happy with what I was seeing. It looked so incredibly easy; the technique he was using and the nice results it was yielding. He only seemed to be using a very few commands, (extruding from edges, adding verticies, target welding, etc). The thing is, I have basically zero experience in both XSI and 3dsmax so I don't even know where to begin.

Thanks everyone, especially soul for that first post.
    A Lot is two words.

What vid are you talking about ?
    -:Sanguis bibimus:-
    -:Corpus edimus:-
    -:Tolle corpus satani:-
    -:Ave versus cristus:-
    ---:Ave santani:---

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast