Talking Ultra Dev 4.0 questions

I am a GoLive user and have a package of ultra dev 4.0 on its way in the mail.

I have previously used Dream Weaver 1.x and 2.x but have no experience on the later versions or Ultra Dev.

Anybody have any advise on the best 3rd party literature or better yet, free tutorials to help me get up and running quicker.

Also any recommendations on its use with Microsoft Access.

Thanks in advance

Ronald L. Blake

Dunno if this will even help you or not, but for what it's worth, Dreamweaver 4 (and Ultradev, since it's based on DW to some extent) is very similar to earlier versions of DW. I'm just now getting into the database side of web development myself, so I can't really offer any more advice than that, but you shouldn't have any problems getting around the interface, etc.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info

I have been using GoLive for so long now, I am sure I will have to switch gears, but the info is encouraging that I just need to refamiliarize myself with DW's interface again.

Hopefully it will be here by the middle of next week and I can start working with it.

I'll keep in touch on this forum when it comes in and let you how it goes.

Thanks again

Ronald L. Blake

Ultradev 4 is pretty slick if you don't like to write code.

I've used it on some Internet/Intranet Applications. If you know how to write VBScript or JScript then this program can either annoy your OR save you time coding.

Ultradev likes to write a lot of unnecessary code. But if you know nothing about connecting to databases then Ultradev is the way to go. Adobe's implementation of dynamic content is just aweful.

I have used both and I prefer the Ultradev way plus you can get a ton of extensions online to write the code for you, depending on what you want to do.

Connecting to Databases

Yes Ultradev will connect to Access NP or SQL Server.
    Here's the scoop....Access has a limit of 255 concurrent connections and a 2 GB file Limit and it's single threaded.

SQL Server no limit on connections and file size and is multithreaded.

SQL is a high performance db server in my opinion. Even MySQL for Unix is 1000 times better than access in my opinion.

I'm no expert in this area but I've buit database applications to put me through college.

If you go with the vbscript route with ultradev....I'll give you a tip.....make sure all of your connection info for the db is in an .asp file! .asp files get parsed on the server 1st so the client can never view your vbscript code. Microsoft will tell you to name the file extension .inc THIS IS REALLY BAD Someone can view the source and have the log/pass to your database application with the .inc file extension.

A good resource for ASP is
    www.4guysfromrolla.com

SQL
    www.sqlteam.com

Ultradev
    www.ultradevextensions.com

Good Luck

Cool Thanks for the info

Thanks for the in depth reply info and links. That is just the info I need to help me get a jump start on this.

I am really weak on database driven site development areas, and probably don't have the time right now to be teaching myself SQL, so I probably will go the Access route for now. Then later when I get some breathing space from current commitments, I will start picking up on SQL.

I am going to have to help a buddy start migrating a site I originally coded for him. Then hopefully hand it off for daily management.

We will see.

Thanks again for the great info

Ronald L. Blake

NP

Remember if you go the access route and the webserver is NT/2k/.NET Beta then

you can easily upgrade to sql later.

Access will uses sql commands anyway so when you migrate over all of your asp scripts will work

Good Luck

Cool Thanks again

That is good news because that was one of my concerns for shifting to SQL at a later date.

My buddy has already hosted with 3 different providers with very poor results and has decided to bring it back to me to build and then hand it off again.

Each of those 3 were going to help him redesign it for store hosting and credit card billing setup, but as you have heard, not one of them has actually provided results.

That will give him more flexibility with different hosting entities.

Thanks again

Ronald L. Blake

Cool It's here

Hi Thekeyframer

The UltraDev came in today.

Would you mind if contact ya if I have any questions when I get the chance to play with it?

I am working on a class project that is taking most I my available time, so it will probable be a little while though.

My email is: ronaldblake@earthlink.net

Thanks in advance if you don't mind.

Ronald L. Blake
    Aaaahhhhh, who would have thought programming would turn out to be candy for the mind!