Exclamation Free OpenOffice 1.0 released today!

OpenOffice - a free alternative to Microsoft Office - has finally been released. Say goodbye to nasty viruses bundled with doc files and expensive upgrades. It's supposed to open nearly all .doc and .xls documents. I haven't tested this claim though. It might not (yet) be a serious contender for the most demanding of users, but it has reached a stage where it can easily replace Office when you need to type a letter or do your homework. I suggest you give it a try if you need an office suite.

OpenOffice includes replacements for Word, Excel, Powerpoint plus a vector drawing tool. The only thing it lacks is a database (and perhaps something like Outlook), but free alternatives exist for those who need it.

The mirrors might be a little slow because of the rush to download it. Get it here: http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/s...0.0/index.html
    Last edited by jamesj; 05-01-2002 at 02:26 PM.
    "The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't." --Douglas Adams

Thanks for the notice. I'll definitely be checking it out.

so, does this have any advantage over staroffice which is also free???

Originally posted by jerry_hnk
    so, does this have any advantage over staroffice which is also free???
    StarOffice and OpenOffice use the same code and are basically identical (in the same way that Mozilla and Netscape 6 are identical). The only difference is that StarOffice has a database, some clipart and a spell-checker. Nothing major.

StarOffice isn't free anymore, btw. Sun wants money for it now. Time will tell if that is a bad idea.
    "The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't." --Douglas Adams

too bad... I though staroffice was really cool...

anyway, openoffice is still a nice alternative to office XP and its FREE!!

Staroffice costs $100 from version 6.0... But that's not very expensive compared to micro$oft office.

BTW: the files are very small. Only 49 MB for the windows version, and 67 for Linux...