Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why upgrade to WinXP Pro?!

OK. This thread is for your opinion on why someone should a upgrade to WinXP pro, from Win NT4.0/ 2000. But you must state YES upgrade,and why or NO do not upgrade and why. You can not take both sides. Keep in mind this is animation/modeling related issue.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    i have to upgrade soon..due to some software that does not support a Windows NT 4.0. Win XP Pro,can only support 2 CPU. And 4 GB of RAM.

I upgraded (well full install) from win2kpro... I like XP pro more, it has all the bell and whistels and I can play every game I have on it, unlike win2kpro... but win2kpro was more stable

Actually, my XP Pro has never crashed... and I've had it running hardcore software and games since December. Whoah

I upgraded to XP pro from 2k, and I personally recommend it. It takes less time to bootup, shut down, and for the most part a more efficient operating system, especially the the gui. Also, you cant deny that it isnt a prettier operating system. I would take the specs into concideration before making a decision. I have a 700 MHZ system with a gig of memory, and 140 gigs of hard drive space. If you have less that 256 megs of mem, forget it, it will dog out on you. I run Maya 4 unlimited, Photoshop 7, and a bunch of others with no problems in XP. I even run some of them at the same time with no crashes or issues.

Mo
    Sign the petition for AW to donate Maya 4.5,
    Read the thread: http://sv1.3dbuzz.com/index_sv.php?...68&goto=newpost

If you have a system or peripherals older than four years you may have some driver troubles. I had some real trouble trying to get my zip 100 parallel and UMAX scanner working under XPPro. Other than that it’s been great. If I had the cash for a new monitor I’d be using it much more than the crap that ME is. I have 320 Megs of RAM and it runs smoothly, it’s actually much better than ME. 2000 did seem a little more stable in my experience, but most of the time you can just restart the app that crashed and continue working without a reboot.

I upgraded to XP, just to get the new GUI :P

XP and 2k is basically the same for me..
    XP has never crashed on me yet,.. same goes for 2k, that never crashed on me either.

one thing I miss from 2k is regcleaner, it's oddly missing in XP...
    another thing I really really like in XP is ability have absolutely Nothing on your Desktop... awsome...

I did encounter alot of programs that wouldn't run on XP, but had no problem running on 2k.. but the program wasn't that important to me.

Gametag: Monkeychop
    Live Games: Rally Sport Challenge2, Full Spectrum Warrior (authentic only), PRG2

I have used all Windows OSs that I can remember (3.11, 95, 98, 98SE, Me, NT3.51, NT4, 2000, 2000 Pro, XP Home, XP Pro)... and XP Pro is by far the best I have ever used.

As previously mentioned, excellent boot-up times and extremely stable too... Some people have been having real problems finding drivers for some of their hardware, but I had no problems at all.

You'll tend to find that if a company isn't producing drivers for legacy products for XP, it's either becuase they're producing new products and not bothering, or they are just not committed to their users...

I have also used MAX4, XSI 2.0 and Maya 4, all without problems and all very, very quickly. I produced a 500-frame anim at 720x600 with 5 fairly simple objects, a ground plane and a bunch of raytracing spotlights with shadows in MAX. It rendered in about 3 minutes (on an Athlon XP 1800+, 512Mb RAM) including the compession to DivX 5.

I have no question that XP is my OS of choice for 3D work.

Oh, and the UI is quite nice (but not as nice as OSX and nowhere near as customizable as I'd like...)

Cheers
    cell

the new Luna GUI did it for me

The privacy issues alone would be enough for me to not recommend it to anyone. I've also seen a lot of people complain about various issues ranging from files that wouldn't delete to driver problems. There's also the UI which seems like overkill to me. I'd rather use my CPU cycles on something useful (like rendering) than waste it on beautiful, yet completely useless, eyecandy.

I currently run a stable Windows 2000 box which I'm very satisfied with. I don't see any need to fix something that isn't broken. Thumbs down here (for what it's worth).
    "The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't." --Douglas Adams

No, because it hasn't been certified for many of the 3d apps we're learning to use here... unless they've finally done so with their latest releases. Read the forums at LW, Max, Maya, Soft and you'll be better able to judge. If you're not too worried about that, then go on.

I personally use win2k and I see no compelling reason to switch... until the 64bit procs come out, which would benefit from a 64bit version of XP or whatever it is then.

Mane

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast