Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Public Speaking Help.

Ok, well it is time for the annual QAIS Public Speaking competition (2002-2003) by me. And it seems like every year the topics get worse. Thsi year the speech is just a formal speech meaning no props, no costumes. You can just talk. (Minimal hand movements.) It should be a powerful speech though. It could have an argument, or it could be personal with a moral. (Read: I don't want to do personal.)

Anyway I need help with interpreting any of the topics ina unique (read: non litteral) way. The peech has to be 3 minutes witha 30 second leeway. (Either side.)

In any case there are 7 quotes we can choose from. They are all from Mordecai Richler however students are autorized to find other quotes by him, so long as they get accepted by a teacher.

Quote 1: "Let me put it this way. Canada is not so much a country as a holding tank filled with the disgrunted progeny of defeated peoples."

Quote 2: "I'm trying to tell the truth. I don't think that it's something that has t be in season like hockey or hey fever. I think you should be able to tell the truth at any time."

Quote 3: "Most of us [Canadians] are huddled tight to the border, looking into the candy store window, scared of the Americans on one side and the bush on the other."

Quote 4: "We haven't lost our heads, only our apostrophes... Montreal, however diminished, is still to my mind the most agreeable city in Canada. And this is because the two cultures not only confront but also continue to enrich each other."

Quote 5: "I belong to a generation that sprang into adolescence during World War II. Too young to fight, we were forever shaped by the war all the same. The headlines. The battles. The casualties. We could never wear the flag as underwear or respect those who did."

Quote 6: "I never expected a mere novel, a stranger's tale, could actually be dangerous, creating such turbulence in my life, obliging me to question so man received ideas... About my own monumental ignorance of the world. About what novels were."

Quote 7: "One of out most attractive qualities I think is that we are a self-deprecating people. Had Babe Ruth, for instance, been born a Canadian rather than an American, he would not be celebrated as the Sultan of Swat, the man who hit 714 home runs. Instead he would be deprecated as that notorious flunk who struck out 1330 times."

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Who is the guy who wrote these - sounds like he is a toad. You need a speech or presentation then do it in defense of Canada. It sounds like the author of those quotes didnt care much for Canada or he is a poor satirist.

I use to go to Canada on business about four times a year - it was a great place to be and the people were very friendly. The QEW was a little hectic at rush hour but what highway isnt.

Maybe you can do a little research and find out more about the author and what his story is.

good luck

Doc

Actually, from what I understand, the guy (Mordecai Richler) was actually very patriotic. He was a Jewish Quebecer. I believe he died recently. (That being relative maybe a couple years ago.) In any case I don't want to do anything literal. I said that in the beginning.

not a friggin idea man... i live in canada and they all seem to not... "praise" canada so much... kinda almost dissing it... i have no idea =\ but if i had to choose it'd be #2

Well you can't really get more patriotic then #5 and #2 is just overly cliché.

But in any case I need suggestions of how to interprete the quote and not which to pick. I know which one I like but I have nothing to say.

whoa i kinda missed #5 there well it just depends on what kind of message you want to get across... if you're truly proud ur a canadian choose 5

Maybe you missed it. I DON'T want to do a LITERAL interpretation. I DON'T want to talk about Canada. That is the whole point.

then talk about the cliche =\

...and get a bad mark. I'm trying to keep up my grade. But i have no idea with these topics.

look for more quotes may be? because they're all either patriotic or really insulting to canadians and since you don't want anything to do with canada or the cliche... i'm stumped =\

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast