Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    it helps to visualize the lack of "edge" if you think about it this way:

imagine a series of dots put on the surface of the balloon with a magic marker. each dot represents a galaxy. as the balloon inflates (translation: as the universe expands) every dot receeds away from one another. so no matter which dot is yours, every dot you see moves away from you, even though there is no "last" or "outer" dot. since all the dots reside on the surface of the balloon, there is no edge.

I agree on the visulisatin thing, but you are missing the fundamental point that there is no universe
    I was once a small cog in the machine.

I am now the machine

Originally posted by Innocent
    I agree on the visulisatin thing, but you are missing the fundamental point that there is no universe
    i'm with you, if you are talking about the multiverse.

thats a new 1 on me, never heard of a multiverse but checkout the "What are nucleus's made of? " thread to see what i'm getting at (i'm not typing that lot again, lol)
    I was once a small cog in the machine.

I am now the machine

Originally posted by Innocent
    thats a new 1 on me, never heard of a multiverse but checkout the "What are nucleus's made of? " thread to see what i'm getting at (i'm not typing that lot again, lol)
    the multiverse is the idea that instead of there being only one universe, there are an infinite number of universes which exist in parallel and each universe is the consequence of every possible interaction of matter.
    i'm not up on cosmological theory anymore, but i've heard this is an idea that's gained some popularity in the last decade or so.

hmm the term 'multiverses' was already coined in the 19th century...

and there's basically 10 or 12 dimensions, here on earth we have 4D, but we're capable of holding 9...
    well some say there are 23 dimensions, but that's a sheme i don't understand yet.

it also apears we have 12 dna strings with two being fysical ones.

also mind we have bodys in those dimensions, it's not just our 3d body we live in, you know.

sounds weird? even scientists are discovering this these days...
    Last edited by Cyberdigitus; 01-21-2003 at 08:32 PM.

A multiversice is defined as the whole of reality. It contains many parallel universes.

The different "parallel" universes interact but only on a quantum level. Here is an excert from a post of mine from a diferent thread on the same topic:

"Actually the photons do not "fragment" and interact with itself
    A theroy that is being seriously looked at, suggests that there exists "shadow" photons capabale of interacting with the "tangible" photons. The "shadow" photons can only be detected indirectly through the interference effects with "tangible" photons. Interference is not a special property of photons. Predictions and experiments confirm that it occurs for every type of particle.

Here is where you need an open mind.

The "tangible" photons in our universe are interacting, on a quantum level, with parralel universes. Each "shadow" photon is a "tangible" photon in its own universe. A parrallel universe usualy means a entire world. What is actually meant is that all perseptable matter around us is not the entire universe, but a "multiverse". So the "tangible" photon passing through the double slit experiement is interacting with a "shadow" photon from a different part of the "multiverse" than we curently exist in.

I could go on and on and on about this, but I'm not going to, its late, and as you can tell by my spelling I'm tired. Like I said before, you need an open mind when dealing with quantum physicsand a subject like "multiverses". At this current time I think that interference is the only way to intereact with the "mutiverses". There are also some other crazy assed theries that go along with this."

Damn- this threads making my brain ache.

At the end of the universe is creamy pudding. It doesn't taste very good, so don't bother going there - It's highly overrated.

Anyway, I always find these kind of discussions extremely interesting. My personal belief so far is kind of what you see at the end of Men In Black 1 and 2. Universe within Universe within Universe etc..
    Dan 'pezz' Kronholm.
    Currently working on: The MMO class!.
    Previously working on: Game called "Boom Bots", while learning Unity and C#. WIP thread here.

There is no edge to the universe because it is ever expanding, and it is actually accerating instead of slowing down.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast