Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cell Phone WIP

I honestly cant say if its a Nokia. I just put some generic cell phone features together.

Pezz: Your right about the internal details, I was trying to model it as acuretly as possable. You can't tell from the picture but I also modeled a 10 deg draft in the body.
    Last edited by soul; 01-19-2003 at 07:26 PM.

Watch your edges...usually you want to put in an extra bevel where two near 90 degree angles meet. This creates an edge that will catch the highlight and define that edge.

So, instead of:

______
    | |
    | |
    | |

Try:

_____
    / \
    | |
    | |

...if that makes any sense at all...

Originally posted by Schmeck
    Watch your edges...usually you want to put in an extra bevel where two near 90 degree angles meet. This creates an edge that will catch the highlight and define that edge.

So, instead of:

______
    | |
    | |
    | |

Try:

_____
    / \
    | |
    | |

...if that makes any sense at all...
    Yes that makes sence and thanks for your input. I will try that when I do some renderings. But my intent was to try to reproduce it as accuretly as possible not to optimize it for rendering. As far as what I have seen in these plastic parts there are no chamfers at the edge (there are probably some manufacturers that do this). Thanks again for your input.

An update with the back cover let me know what you think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back cover.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	6790  

Now I can honestly say that it looks quite like a Nokia phone.

The only problem, where will the battery go?

Originally posted by enygma
    Now I can honestly say that it looks quite like a Nokia phone.

The only problem, where will the battery go?
    Your right I didn't include any features for the battery. I'll have to fix that. Thanks

so far so good, keep updating good work overall

Very impressive considering that you are working on memory alone. Is there a reason why you've decided to not use any reference material? It's not too difficult getting a hold of an actual cell phone these days to help in modeling. Anyway, it looks great and look forward to an update.

chui1675

It is similar to the Nokia 6110, and I believe those phones have the battery designed to look just like the bottom 3/4 of the back of the phone, with a clip of course, keeping it on. It bulges out more if it is a high capacity Ni-Cad battery. Unlike phones like the 3320/3360 and 8390 where the back is a cover like that which you have, which can be removed to insert a separate Li-ion batter into the cellular casing, this one just sticks right on the back. But then there are phones like the Motorolla C332 and C333 that have the battery built right into them, which is kinda crap. How would you replace it?

Originally posted by enygma
    It is similar to the Nokia 6110, and I believe those phones have the battery designed to look just like the bottom 3/4 of the back of the phone, with a clip of course, keeping it on. It bulges out more if it is a high capacity Ni-Cad battery. Unlike phones like the 3320/3360 and 8390 where the back is a cover like that which you have, which can be removed to insert a separate Li-ion batter into the cellular casing, this one just sticks right on the back. But then there are phones like the Motorolla C332 and C333 that have the battery built right into them, which is kinda crap. How would you replace it?
    Enygma, I guess you do work at a cell phone dealership.

Chui1675: Thanks for the comments. The reason I am not using reference material is just to challenge myself to see if I can get it to look right.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast