Is this workstation worth it anymore?

Hi,

I was browsing around the auction sites and came across older Silicon Graphics workstations. One example had these specifications:

030-8101-004 R4000SC - 100mhz (1mb SC)
    MEMORY INSTALLED

034-8077-004 8-Bit Graphics Board (LG1)
    030-7005-002 10baseT AUI Ethernet Option
    ST1200N SYSTEM DRIVE 1.2 GB
    ST1200N OPTION DRIVE 1.2 GB
    320100-005 OPTION DRIVE TAPE 4MM DAT
    3 3 1/2" Bays
    2 Serial RS422 (38.4 k baud)
    1 Bidirectional Parallel
    5 Audio I/0 Connectors
    1 Ethernet
    2 GIO-32 Slots
    SCSI channel

I know this used to be a powerhouse, but I'm running an Athlon XP 1800...is this workstation worth getting? I don't know if because it's different architecture it would be useful for 3d.

Thanks for any help.

are you prepared to but another package to support this format.
    are you prepared to learn a whole new os?

u didnt even mention the price..

i'd say no if you didnt require an sgi

Stick with your Athlon. If you want a true workstation get a dual CPU motherboard NT/XP based system with a gig of RAM and a Quadro 4 XGL 750 or 900. Most software that used to be exclusive to SGI is now available on PC and it is well worth it to stick with the most compatible worldwide format.

My 2 cents,

Carl

I am with Carl on this one, keep the AMD, if you want a powerhouse than buy a Dual AMD XP processor. They are very good.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback, looks like I'll just spend more money on my system.

thanks again

i have a single AMD 2000+ processor. If I was wanting to put another one in to make it a dual processor...1) would it be possible? and 2)would it require more things than just the 2nd processor?

I'd stick with what you've got or use the money to upgrade, it looks like that SGI belongs in a museum.

If it isn't to expensive get the sgi, just to look at.. I love the design of those machines! And it is quite possible to run Maya 1 on such a workstation.

Something that caught my attention on ebay.de:

SGI Octane - Dual CPU- Dual Head - CADDuo!!!! EUR 1.010,00

DOWNLOAD MY FREE PHOTOSHOP TEXT FX VIDEO TRAINING CD HERE

Special Thanks to: 3DWorldmag | Kaydara | Discreet | SideFX | Oregon3d | 3DUniversity | Pixologic • If you like what BuZZ does here then be sure to help support 3dbuzz by visiting our sponsors often to see what they have to offer. They are the ones that help keep the VTM project alive. • Don't forget to help spread the word about 3dbuzz anywhere you can...EXAMPLE OF SILLY IDEAS THAT HELP • Questions about 3dbuzz.com? READ THE FAQ HERE, you may find your answer. • Help support the future of 3dbuzz by becoming a MEMBER SPONSOR. Thank you to our current member sponsors!

3DBuzz.com + Trainingvids.com = you + omg so much knowledge cannot be put in words!