Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Portable DVD players? They worth it?

Hey, i'm just posting to get your views on portable DVD players. Do you guys think they are worth it or not? I got that mp3 player, but i returned it, and ended up having to return the next 3 that I got for the exact same reason before i finally just lost faith that I would find one that actually works. So i got some money for that, and now i'm thinking of saving up for a portable DVD player because I do a lot of sitting in a car driving not doing much and I think I would get a lot of use out of it. But hows the technology, if I buy one now will they release one thats twice as good tomorrow? And does anyone think they're really worth it because, i could get me an X-Box and a whole bunch of games otherwise. Thanks for your opinions.

I would save a little more money and get a laptop with a DVD player.

I had a top of the line portable Sony DVD player for about a week last year and it was pretty nice. Just keep in mind that it's really expensive, and you won't get as much use out of it as you'd think.

I thought it would be nice for roadtrips, but it wasn't that great. The little screen was impossible to see during the daylight, and I got a headache from trying to see it.

My 2-cent

I know i wouldnt buy a portable DVD player...i just use my laptop. Granted its bigger, but u have everything with you and plus you could do 3D!!!
    "Find me guilty when true guilt is from within."
    Metallica -- The Thorn Within

You shouldn't be doing 3d on a laptop. As for the portable DVD player haven't used one but be sure to look into battery life.

http://www.portabledvdstore.com/ might be of some help.

Hmmm... yea, maybe I should save up a bit more and go for a laptop. They're not THAT much bigger then the DVD players. They're pretty cool. Hmm, or maybe i'll go on some big video game spending spree! i've got $800 to blow, i gotta spend it right. Maybe I could even donate a little somethin somethin to 3Dbuzz.

Why not become a member sponsor for a while? That should last for just a little under 2 years. Well assuming it is US.

hey if your in a car, and u love 3d...you would be doing 3d on a laptop
    "Find me guilty when true guilt is from within."
    Metallica -- The Thorn Within

lol, but wouldn't that require me buying a new license for maya? heh heh... dont think 800 is gunna cover that and a laptop. heh heh, i wouldn't use it for 3d anyways. But i might look into becoming a member sponsor for a couple months. I just PM angela for details on how I could pay her right? Cuz i have no credit card.

i've never head of a dvd portable, now i want one, i have some money to spend
    Listen to the Beatles!

Well, maybe Maya on a laptop is a little far-fetched, but Photoshop for textureing surely isn't, right? Besides, I don't think ANY 3D-app would work as naturally on a laptop as it would on a "normal" desktop, simply becuase they don't have the same power (oh, and don't forget the screensize and limitations concerning daylight and stuff )

As for a portable DVD-player, I think it's not worth it. I've been considering buying one myself last year, and I had a talk to a local dealer. He said that batteries will not last long enough to watch two DVD's (may have fixed that by now, though) and as stated above, it's nearly impossible to see a decent movie because of the reflection at daytime.
    "Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know, a pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence. Gotta get me some of that..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast