Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flow path object problems with Maya

I wonder if somebody can help me please, I’m using Maya 2016 and am trying to animate an object along a path and most of it is working but I have two issues that I can’t get fixed so would be grateful for any help please.

The first problem is the object seems to ‘jitter’ as it moves along the path, I had to key the front twist manually to get it to move properly but at various places a long the path it jitters from side to side and I’ve no idea how to stop that from happening so that it flows smoothly.

Also I’m having a problem with applying the flow path object, my model is a high poly object but when I try to do this it’s destroying the model and it isn’t bending at all. It seems to me as if Maya is treating it as a very low poly object but also the distortion is changing frame by frame rather than consistently. I’ve attached a screed shot of the problem.
    Last edited by thehappyappy; 09-23-2019 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Add screenshot

Can't see your screenshot, an example file would be even better though
    There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Sample scene.mb.zip Sorry it took me a while to get it but I've attached a sample file now. Also is there a better way of making the car appear to drive around the inside of the funnel without having to manually keyframe the front twist?

Just wondered if the sample file was okay as I really need to get this fixed asap please

I'd be really grateful for any help at all

Yes the sample file was helpful.
    The best way I found of doing what you're after is explained by Schmon here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Maya/commen...pping_problem/

I have this working in your scene. I duplicated the motionpath and moved the duplicate slightly off to the side. Then Lofted between them and edited the Control Vertex points to twist the surface into the loop (set the Degree attribute to Linear on the Loft node for less CVs to edit). Make this new surface Live and draw an EP curve along the surface, this will be your new motionpath. When attaching the car choose Normal for the World Up Type in the motionpath options. You should have the car moving in the loop with no flipping.
    A lot of words and a bit of a back track but didn't take long here

Thanks, sadly that didn't seem to help

Strange, appears to work here. Did you create a new curve for the motionpath by drawing on the Live surface?

SampleScene1_faux.zip

Thank you that worked this time.

I'm still having a problem with bending the car though. I applied the flow path object and my model is a high poly object but when I try to do this it’s destroying the model and it isn’t bending at all. It seems to me as if Maya is treating it as a very low poly object but also the distortion is changing frame by frame rather than consistently. I’ve attached a screed shot of the problem.

Can't see the picture chap.
    Is the car model all one mesh like the previous sample scene or a group of parts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast