Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    There isn't any unwrapping sections in the original videos, they are just on modeling. I'm thinking about if I want to do any UV unwrapping or not. If I do any UV unwrapping, I'll have to find some training on it.
    Once upon a time I was an artist...

it's been about 4 years since i did any modelling in 3DS. i only did some light UVW unwrapping. It was on a couple of WWII tanks, so fairly square mapping to be honest.
    When in Rome, don't laugh at the Romans

I mostly worked in Maya at the game studio I was at. It has been about 8 years since I did any 3D work. I can't afford Maya, so I started looking at Blender. I really like it so far. It is really easy to work in, and can do everything I will need it to do. I just have to learn the program.

Sorry for the lack of updates. I have been dealing with a sick kid, and have not had a chance to get any further with the model. Hopefully I can get some more work done soon.

Great progress. Thanks for letting us in on it. I remember when the way to learn to do things in Blender was to watch training videos for other apps and try to adapt. Now there's lot of great training specifically for Blender.
    "I don't WANT to pet the chicken."

I actually have blender specific training, but they mostly cover the common modeling tools. You can do a lot with tools like extrude and inset edges, etc. I wanted to see the more specialized tools Zak used in these tutorials, and try to find the blender equivalent. I already know most of these techniques from working in Maya for several years. This is getting me to look for tools that I don't use very often, like the screw modifier for the threads on the barrel. Very enjoyable and educational.

ive never paid for any blender training. There is so much out there for free. I turn off adblock for youtube tutorials.
    im waiting on BenderGuru to finish his "2.8 donut" series and then i'll dive in to that.

One thing that Blender is sorely missing is good NURBS.
    Im sure someone will come along one day and revamp it.
    After using MAYA for so long im just really used to making curves and snapping verts to them. Blenders curves annoy the hell out of me... and that its a Z up world. I could never get a good answer for why that is.

There are a few good tutorials on YouTube on UV mapping.

Finally got a little bit of work done yesterday. I'll upload an image soon. Still haven't decided if I will add textures, or just do the modeling like in the videos.

So I finally got through the first LAM Unit video. It is looking a little rough, but there are still 3 videos left covering the LAM Unit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	socom_17.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	75045

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast