Underground Passage (Pixel Art)

I've been working on a new area, which as the thread title suggested is an underground passage.
    I've got some good tiles for the base layout, I think. But I'd like to get some feedback before I got too far with it.
    I'm open to all criticism, so please be honest with your responses.

Read my Webcomic:
    maytiacomic.com
    Check up on my progress at:
    marscaleb.com

im digging it looks great, keep at it man.

I agree this looks pretty good. I will say the values (lightness and darkness) in the second image could use some tweaking so you can see more separation in the different areas.
    "I don't WANT to pet the chicken."

I've made some updates. I've got a simple lighting layer set up, and I've reworked the tiles for the second area.

Some palette options (Between the wood platform and background bricks)

I've still got some changes I want to work on, but I want to get some feedback on what I've got right now.
    Last edited by Marscaleb; 03-11-2019 at 08:08 PM.
    Read my Webcomic:
    maytiacomic.com
    marscaleb.com

Read my Webcomic:
    maytiacomic.com
    marscaleb.com

So I decided to properly count all the colors and palettes being used, and compared to what the SNES can handle in mode 1 I actually have plenty of room for more. Previously I was thinking that the drain pipe and torch would have to be sprites to help divide the load. (I think I might have been making that decision back when I thought these two versions would be in the same "room" and thus need to have both be viewable at the same time.) With that in mind I think I may go back and add highlights around the torch as part of the normal background tiles.

But for the moment I think I'm going to move on from this area and work on a different scene. I'll take a look at it with a fresher mind in a few months. Until then, here's the last update I've been working on. I cleaned up a couple pixels in the bricks that looked too distinct, and tried to get that second area to look less flat. Let me know what you think, or if there are any other changes I ought to make. I'll review all the comments when I come back to it in a few months.

Read my Webcomic:
    maytiacomic.com
    marscaleb.com