Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3dbuzz

You know, it might look better if the forum didn't automatically hide every thread that was "old." After dInferno mentioned it, I just poked in on the WIP thread thinking I might post something there to help liven the forum up. But it showed absolutely no threads.

That makes the site look deader than dead. It doesn't make this forum look abandoned, it makes it look like a vacant lot.
    Anyone who just stumbles across this forum wouldn't really know what kind of place this is nor was. If I shared my work, would it look silly or would it fit in? Can I share my WIP stuff that is game related but not 3D? These are questions people wouldn't know.

And for all the various help forums, well, those threads are a wealth of knowledge. But no one can see them.

Would showing all the old threads make this a lively community again? Probably not, but it wouldn't hurt.
    Just my suggestion, anyway.
    Last edited by Marscaleb; 08-09-2018 at 04:23 PM.
    Read my Webcomic:
    maytiacomic.com
    Check up on my progress at:
    marscaleb.com

I have started a WIP Thread. I will be updating it as often as I can.
    3D Animator/Rigger

I think one of the more pressing issues right now seems to be spam and ad bots that are destroying this forum.

There are a lot of us that still hang around, lurk, or post every so often. I think we need to see if one of the owners or admins will extend some of thoes privileges to people that have been here for a while so we can self manage the bot users.

I still visit the site at least every other day to see if anyone has posted.

I would be willing to help moderate. I still pop in pretty often.
    "I don't WANT to pet the chicken."

You know, most forums these days allow basically any user to flag a post as spam. I'm not opposed to promoting a few people to mods, but it might be simpler to allow any user (or any user with enough rep) to flag spam.

And I don't know what's going on behind the curtain here, but if we're really getting a spam problem, maybe it's time to upgrade the board. There's a lot of really smart systems these days that can cut out spam without human involvement. (Of course, I'm less in favor of this if it would mean wiping all the forum history, because there are a number of times where I search through old posts to find answers to questions I have already asked.)
    Read my Webcomic:
    maytiacomic.com
    Check up on my progress at:
    marscaleb.com

Actually, regular users can flag spam. Whether the moderators or administrators have time to deal with it is another issue. But, although I normally recommend keeping software up-to-date, I'm involved with another forum that has had major issues with its update to the latest vBulletin software. Maybe the developers need some more time to work out all the bugs.

Man, it's been just over a year since Jason left us, but it oddly seems like longer to me. I guess that's because he was not as active around here in the year or two leading up to his illness.

It was probably around this time fifteen years ago that I first became aware of 3DBuzz. The whole computer 3D thing was so exciting, and this community was very welcoming.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12