Boolean Union ~ Models Disappear?

Hi.

I need to produce a 'water-tight' file (.stl) for 3D printing that combines 3D text with a 3D label. Please see attachments.

I started by creating the 3D text in Maya 2015. The letters all have a single top-face that won't import into ZBrush without explosion. So, I triangulated the faces and was able to get a clean import to ZBrush. I did this for the ZBrush .stl export because I was unaware of the Maya .stl export.

Anyway, I would like to create the model entirely in Maya and am using the Boolean/Union so I can join the volumes while deleting the intersecting geometry. That is, I'm trying to use it. When performed, the models just disappear. I have looked and the 'Legacy' box is checked. I've gone to the Boolean Opt Node (only available in the Attribute Editor after the Boolean operation) and have not had success manipulating those options either.

Does anyone have a Boolean/Union solution or another approach I might take to create this water-tight model for 3D printing?

Thanks!

~T.~

ConservationArts.net
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maya_Boolean_02.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	467.1 KB 
ID:	74718   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maya_Boolean_01.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	517.0 KB 
ID:	74717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red_Wolf_ZBrush_Obj_Import_01.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	304.0 KB 
ID:	74720   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red_Wolf_Text_Test_01.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	497.4 KB 
ID:	74719   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0472.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	74721  

I'd delete the 'flat' faces on the inside of the base, also check which way your normals are pointing.

How did your results differ with Legacy unchecked?

I'm with Cavedog on the multi-mesh front

If you can share the file I'm happy to have a tinker here.
    There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Thanks, faux. No difference in performance with Legacy on or off. Which faces would you delete? ~T.~

The faces that form the letters and that are inside the base. Not saying it will have an effect, but it would be something I'd try.

Also you can still move the parts individually after the Boolean by selecting them in the Outliner, sometimes a small positional adjustment can make things pop back.

Hi. Thanks. How can I send you the file? The Forum Uploader won't accept it. ~T.~

I recognize that you want to generate your model in Maya, but I would strongly consider downloading Fusion 360 and using it to create your label. It won't take long to get up to speed, it's free for hobbyists and very small businesses, and it's purpose-built to make 3D printing and manufacture-grade models.

I do a lot of 3D printing. I switched to Fusion a year ago and never looked back. It's definitely worth looking at.

Email it over to dee390@hotmail.co.uk

It would also be nice if you could add it to this thread via google drive, dropbox, microsoft storage service or something along those line.