Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Well can't we use bitbucket as we already are, it will be great to learn how to do a merge.

On another note at the moment I have a domain name with another service that is about to expire and I want to go with Azure but even after watching some videos I am not sure what I need to do to move my domains and what choices I need for our projects.
    Last edited by Matroblend; 05-08-2017 at 11:03 AM.

I host all of my personal, non public stuff on Visual Studio Team Services so I am not in BitBucket for this project (granted I have an account with them and do have some code posted there).

That being said I can still clone my repo and push it to another repository host with history. Although it might be nice to just start from a clean history. It will be very hard to get anything to merge unless we have a common code base to work from. Git works on a graph logic and without a common code base / code history it won't know where to merge / diverge the history for a pull request.

As far as a host, there are many choices but it depends on what we want.
    GitHub - Open source centric, popular, can't have a private repository without paying.
    Bitbucket - More enterprise focused. Unlimited private and public repositories. Cost is based on the number of collaborators for private repositories.
    Others - Don't think they are worth mentioning in this situation.

Basically it is not too different if we have it open source. If we want it closed source then we would need to weigh the costs.

We could always just shard actual code files as we have been doing, but that can lead to bugs if someone forgets a line change in another file.

You bring up some good points, I would like to hear what OldnGrey thinks.

As I see it You, OldnGrey and myself have been the most active in this project and speaking for myself I am torn it has been a very long process of eleven years with many dead end code projects and this one has been the best I have learned so much and for the most part understand how everything works and I don't even mind the sometimes weeks it takes me to find and fix a bug because I did something wrong.

So even if you decide on a fresh repo I would end up putting it next to mine and write it into my base part by part to learn, I hope you don't mind. Like I said before I am very thankful that you and OldnGrey have responded many times to questions.

For me I can't wait to get to the point of adding in my game assets and NPC characters and walking around the world.

Am385 is being quite generous. After all his skills are way ahead of ours and everyone interested in the BuzzMMO project would simply be taking without giving much back. What does am385 get out of this?

My only contribution so far has been to merge in the SimpleBlog project. It was exactly at my skill level and worth doing.
    I do intend to finish off my commentary on completing the MMO videos by including the code fixes and Photon fixes recommended by am386.
    At that point I feel the project is at my new baseline and that post can end.

So, from the end of Nelson's videos plus fixes, I will have a system that starts a dev game and that's it. No game has been written yet.
    Assume that Nelson doesn't release his dev code. Steve did point out to me in a pm that Nelson has a support agreement with 3dBuzz and is under no obligation to release more code. I've asked Steve 2 times now and don't feel like pestering him again. Of course there is nothing stopping others from sending a PM to Steve. The more people who ask, the more it might be realised that there is some interest in it

My plans going forward will be to complete the functionality of chapter 12.
    - game loop
    - simple character assets to show a figure and edge detection to bump off obstacles
    - simple map with borders
    - simple click to move interface as well as wasd support
    - ingame position updates to all proxies
    - periodic gamestate saves enabling reconnection with same character and position etc
    - client rendering of other players and recognition of their properties
    - simple lag compensation in the game for all players to normalize at 300mS
    - fixing all the issues in our dev code that broke the production build for teamcity and be able to rollout a barebones game to my production servers. That ties together chapter 10, 11 and 12.
    That completes chapter 12.

Given that is my roadmap, and we all have our own goals, I suggest that if we are willing, that we just provide read-only to our repositories as they exist online assuming those repositories can be readily accessible.

For me that's simply BitBucket for all the good reasons mentioned by am386 and the obvious fact that Nelson used it in the project. Plus I've never used any other version control and can't comment on the Microsoft solution built into vs2017 and how shareable it is.

I don't think anyone is suggesting we collaborate on a common project.

So that's a rambling post merely to point out that am386 is my only real source of fixes and extensions at the moment. I'd welcome any sharing of code via a version-controlled online repository and I'd also welcome the chance to continue helping and being helped here in the 3dBuzz forums.
    Last edited by oldngrey; 05-11-2017 at 09:20 AM.

Agreed, Am385 is being quite generous. But I think that this project is very close to being something that can be worked with and build on and if I had the skills I would share them with those who were actively at chapter 12.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12