Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'd suggest we wait and see if we can get the code from Nelson.

Quote Originally Posted by sjc2112 View Post
    Hey!

As soon as we deal with Google's changes to Chrome that affect the video player, I'll take this up with Nelson and see what I can put together. Thanks man!

Steve
    Just checking to see if there is any updates.

Not really. Steve is away for a week and he is following up for us.

Cool I have most of the code but their are some missing parts like the Base.Utilities project with the Vector2, Vector3, Vector4 and VectorExtensions code plus some other sections that Nelson did not show completely.

A whole project missing? egads.
    Who knows how much of that was in the dev code. Nelson seemed to get the concept working in the dev build and then code the main project with any second thoughts he has along the way. One thing is for sure, he thinks about things a lot and his development solution may not be anywhere near the same as the released code. But still, I look forward to the chance to see it and try. You might like to check to see if he moved some classes into that new project by checking the method signatures. He was at one point quite concerned that there were some project dependencies he didn't agree with. Maybe he just refactored the essentials into a new project. Vectors sounds like it's player movement related though. We have no real clues about that.

At the moment I am a bit worried that his server code has hard wired ip addresses in it, and that bodes badly for the production build. But then again, I am guessing the journey of discovery will be fun. Might have to extend his BuzzMMO.Server.Region.Config json files a bit.

Right now I am 21 videos away from getting to the end. Then it's a matter of getting Photon4 working with am385's hints.
    Then we tackle the empty blocks in Nelson's block diagram. I know we have the essentials of the game loop.

I actually thought I might divert myself and study the Photon sample projects a bit to see other ways of handling peer-peer communications for movement.

It's all fun and I do have the time to get the stuff working. I lack knowledge but to tell the truth getting the SimpleBlog project integrated into the BuzzMMO project taught me so much I can't believe I understood much about web development and databases before.

All the best. I really do want to finish chapter 12. AM385 offers another path to completion so I know that there is a good chance I can use what we've done to continue on and get a life's ambition to reality. I've wanted to write a game for ages. I ain't gonna stop now

Yea the Base.Utilities project has only the files for Vectors so I think you are correct about it being for movement. Also I believe that you also correct about his RnD being different than the project as he seems write code then later comes up with a much better way, Rpc vs Deferred as an example.

I am thinking that since the codebase dose allow it I might look into using UNET, I have learned so much but I do still lack the confidence and skill to just write code. I can adapt most code to fit my needs all I need to do is get my game to a working prototype. As for Photon I have been looking at the demo MMO code do see if I can work that out but who knows.

It is going to depend on the sort of game you are writing. I've even thought of using Unity's built in peer networking and just keeping one unity box on to act as the server. Crude and maybe more than silly, but there are many ways to put in client synchronisation if your end goal isn't an mmo.

I wonder if Nelson put in lag equalization? I doubt it That will be an interesting path to tread too. (The concept of a 300mS lag for all clients no matter what their ping) This is going to be fun.

Currently this project is a MOBA not a MMO but it seems easy enough to remove the lobby system as I am making a MMO so as I see it all we need now is the actor system basic which is just movement no additional animations and a basic crafting system.

I think if I look close enough at the code I managed to get from chapter 12 intro and the Photon MMO example I can put something together.
    The only way to fail is to give up or die...

That's what I am starting this week. This wasn't a MOBA class but that's what happened. I am removing the master and region and just creating a login server and cell servers / Zone servers. Granted I am creating a new branch for this so I am not just deleting the work. That being said, I don't want to go down the MOBA path.

Since I am doing an MMO, I will simply be replacing the lobby with the character select/design system which I have lying around somewhere
    Still, that's all in the future for me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast