Need advice on device

I used to be an artist. You can see some work here (SpacemanJupiter.com/works.html) at my crappy website. I haven’t really done anything in 5 or 10 years. I eventually realized well over a decade ago that I couldn't make a living as an artist. With how things have evolved through the internet and computer hardware I no longer believe it's impossible. I used to work with 18x24 drawings using mechanical pencils. I like hyper detail. I never got into oils because it was expensive and I didn't find other types of paints desirable. So, I've never learned how to really work with color. The tools are out there now to change that. I don't know much about doing creative work digitally.

I still have an old Wacom intuos 3. I never really used it though because I couldn't get used to the disconnect. I got myself a Surface Pro 1 back in 2013, and although it still runs like a champ it was not nearly accurate enough to do real artwork the way I wanted it done.

I have 2 devices in mind and would like some opinions on them. If you have a better solution in mind I'm totally open to hearing it. I also considered the Cintique because of the larger screen but leaning towards the Mobilestudio simply because the tech is newer.

Wacom Mobilestudio Pro 16.
    Pros:
    • Great hardware overall
    • M1000M 4gb GPU for doing creative work and maybe a little gaming
    • Supposedly more accurate than Surface devices
    • 4K screen (not sure how this actually affects creating large, high res work)
    • USB-c
    • Good functionality and accuracy for pen
    Cons:
    • No standard USB ports
    • Smaller screen than Cintiques

Surface Book i7
    Pros:
    • Great hardware overall
    • 965m GPU for work and some gaming
    • High res screen
    Cons:
    • 2gb GPU
    • Pen functionality and accuracy maybe not as good

I'm not real concerned with things like battery life. The most important thing for me is will the device do what I want, and will it do it well. I have enough to get the top model of either device but not really more. So, nothing super crazy like a Surface Studio. The GPU is important to me so I don’t want to go with less than either device’s GPU. I imagine the most important thing really is the pen/digitizer technology and how close it can emulate something real and with accuracy. I’d like to be able to do what I used to do with a pencil and also dive into new areas like comic book art with Manga Studio, 3D modeling and animation with Maya and Zbrush, and graphics stuff in general. I feel like a lot of devices out there, even some with Wacom tech built in, are not powerful enough or the pen tech is lacking. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Id like to make a decision this week and be creating by next week. Would love to make a living doing some creative things so this is a serious investment.

I will steer you away from the Surface Book right now...it's an over priced brick sadly....I also looked hard and long at all the surface gear thinking oh yeah this will be so great for however its all under powered and over priced for what you get.

I would strongly recommend the Wacom solution, i've currently been using a cintiq 22hd with my macbook and it's been crushing it...obviously the mobilestudio pro will do it even better.

I'd likely give up the idea of being able to run games on it though..if you need that build a separate machine later when funds become available..keep your work computer clean and professional..and remember always always backup...either external or cloud...I can't tell you how many times this has saved my butt.

I ordered the mobilestudio pro 16 and it should be here Monday. I chose work (m1000m) over play (965m). Time to get serious about doing creative work. I have a lot to learn though.

Wacom MobileStudio Pro 16
    i7 512GB

• Intel® CoreTM i7
    • 512GB SSD
    • 16GB DDR3
    • NVIDIA® Quadro® M1000M graphics with 4GB GDDR5 VRAM
    • Intel® RealSenseTM 3D camera and scanning software

this sounds fairly beastmode to me.....the quadro graphics card is ment to render a lot faster then a gaming card...so won't beable to turn games to max settings..however you should beable to run stuff with some adjustments...now you've got me wondering if I could sneak one of these into my work gear. Please let me know how you like it when it arrives im sure its going to be one peice of incredible kit for you.

Youtube, and sites like this help with the learning process.

I will test several different applications and probably some games too just out of curiosity. I've heard that newer quadros are only 5 to 10% slower than the GeForce counterparts for games. I want to know what it's like using things like 3ds max, zbrush and unreal engine though. Anything graphics related

yeah 3ds max/zbrush maya typical modeling benchmark stuff, im betting it powers through it like a champ though, if its ment to do video editing it can eat 3ds max.

Think u made a good choice. Was looking at this machine a while back but couldnt aford it. Can you give some feedback with benchmarks?
    hans nilsson

I want to know what it's like using things like zbrush and unreal engine though.