Question Third-Person Character Model Deleting Itself?

The character model from the 3DB videos seems to like to get deleted from Unity frequently without warning... sometimes it's just from restarting Unity (After a save, of course), sometimes it's just from using Unity for a long time and then I'll look and the character model won't be there anymore, etc... so I have to keep reimporting the asset. Sometimes it stays longer than other times. It seems like after I run it in the Game tab a few times it decides to disappear.

I have another model that isn't textured that has been there since the beginning of the project, and I've never had to re-import it. Has anyone else run into the issue of self-deleting assets?

Mind, when it deletes itself, it's being used in exactly one place in the scene, as a child of a prefab for the third-person camera prefab.

While I don't plan to use the character much longer, I'm curious about what causes this behavior, since I want to avoid it in the future and/or know how to fix it if it happens on a different model.

Thanks!
    "It's most impressive when it's least expected."

Are you maybe destroying the game object somewhere in the code or do you mean the prefab its self is being deleted?

Not the entire prefab, just the model itself. And I don't mean "it won't render," I mean it literally deletes itself out of the project. Like I said, I have to keep using 'import new asset' to get it back and reconfigure it. It isn't a 'temporary deletion' that magically reappears when I stop running.

When you added your model to the prefab did you hit the apply button to save the change to the prefab?

Yep. Every time. But would that really cause it to delete out of the entire project if I didn't? Out of the prefab, sure... but the project as a whole? It literally disappears from the filesystem that makes up the Unity project without warning.

Also, that's the funny thing. The reference to the model is still in the prefab. It just has 'missing model' or something similar when it deletes itself out of the project. When I re-import the model, it automatically pops back into the prefab... but every time, I have to re-divide the animations, change the import setting for texture naming, etc, to get it looking and working the way it did before. Though I've since made a Unity Package so I don't have to do all that anymore... I just load the package in and it pops back in as it was.
    Last edited by PDI247; 11-27-2016 at 01:16 AM.

I'm not sure if this was the entire issue, but when I switched the character's shader to a legacy shader, two things happened: It stopped being transparent/weird-looking, and it stopped deleting itself from the project. I'm wondering if Unity somehow identifies problematic geometry and decides to delete 'offending' models. But either way, this has either fixed itself or changing the shader to a legacy shader fixed it. Not sure which.