Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

visual studio 2010 express

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this? I uninstalled it and replaced it with VS C++ 2015. Big mistake, now none of my SDL programs run. Thanks guys.

Just found this on another site with a quick search. While I don't do anything with SDL, I am a huge fan of VS2015. It is so much better than its previous incarnations.

You'll need to recompile SDL2main and possibly change its use of fprintf to printf.

VS2015 contains a completely rewritten CRT with many bug and conformance fixes. It's not surprising that this kind of breakage happened; it's not clear if this is a temporary bug with the CRT being incompatible or if all static libraries (like SDL2main) will have to be recompiled for VS2015's runtime.

SDL is great and all, but its Windows support is a little odd at times. It still can't compile cleanly on the Windows 8 SDK out of the box, for instance (this is largely Microsoft's fault, honestly). The choice to ship SDL2main as a library instead of a header-only addition (it's not like it'll be included from more than one file) is just... problematic. As seen here.

There is absolutely 0 reason why you should ever, under any circumstance (barring somebody holding a gun to your head and threatening to kill your family), for any reason, use VS 2010 express over VS2015. Any reason besides the above mentioned very special exception is objectively incorrect.

You might be thinking, "- But!" No. You're wrong. Just stop, VS2010 express and all of the express family is dead. They're gone man. They're just gone. I'll give you a moment to grieve.

Okay, now let's move forward. Download VS 2015, and enjoy

The question you should be asking is the following:

- How do I get my SDL programs to run on VS 2015

To which there is a very simple answer. Just give Google a try! "SDL 2015", or something . If you still can't get it after looking into it, I'll help you more
    Last edited by frostbytes89; 08-01-2016 at 10:51 PM.

I have never seen a response like frostbytes89 before. (forget that it's the most incomprehensible user name ever)
    Absolutely brilliant, compelling and ultimately helpful and supportive.
    How can mhouse77 not respond with hope to this?
    Just wow!

I did find a solution to the SDL issue, but I believe the 2015 community version of Visual Studio will work. It works for everything I am working on currently.

@oldngreay, that's because its the best possible response anyone could ever have hoped for! VS2010 express is dead. Literally every single feature in VS2010 express + every feature that was present in VS2010 pro (like pro debugging tools), is available in VS2015 community.

This is in addition to hundreds more features and access to modern C++.

It is seriously, a 100% true statement to say that there is no reason to be using VS2010 express, hence why Microsoft has all but purged it from any of their download links and issues multiple statements on how VSX Community is what you should be using instead.

@Armond, I'm glad you found a solution Yes VS2015 will work. Remember that Visual Studio is nothing more than an IDE. The compiler is MSVC 120, 130, 140, etc. So if you did find source code with libraries that only link with what looks like might have something to do with the IDE, its actually the compiler version.

So all you need to do is have the compiler version that ships with VS2010 and you can set that in VS2015.

.... Ok. Well I just kept getting , "cannot open SDL2.Lib", and I know all the directories and such were correct. After about a month of searching for a remedy( I'm not a programmer) I gave up and moved onto SFML , which works. So It's all good now. Thanks.

Ps. My app worked in VS 2010 express , is why I was asking about it.

Thanks am385,

I gave up on SDL moved to SFML which seems to work with VS 2015. Appreciate the response.

Quote Originally Posted by mhouse777 View Post
    .... Ok. Well I just kept getting , "cannot open SDL2.Lib", and I know all the directories and such were correct. After about a month of searching for a remedy( I'm not a programmer) I gave up and moved onto SFML , which works. So It's all good now. Thanks.

Ps. My app worked in VS 2010 express , is why I was asking about it.

That's because that particular library is linked against a code page generated by MSVC100 (the compiler used by VS2010). So while you're pointing the linkerto a folder that contains SDL2.Lib, it won't link properly. There is three ways to fix this:

A. Change VS2015 to use MSVC100 (requires VS2010 in one way, shape, or form
    B. Build SDL2.lib with MSVC140. I'm not sure how to build SDL (its been forever since I've used it), but perhaps threre's a cmake file you can use.
    B. Don't use SDL. Whether you pick this route depends on what you're doing. If you're trying to build a simple game, use SFML. It is very easy to use, supports modern compilers, is regularly updated, and contains more than just a rendering API.

That said, you said you're not a programmer. This makes me very curious. What in the world are you delving into SFML/SDL if you're not a programmer? There's many, many, many far superior tools for non-programmers that want to build a game

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast