Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am new, and going to join as a member sponsor (probably yet today); Honestly, I had no idea about the site until I started watching the RPG API videos on you tube last week. I am thinking that the lack of activity could simple be because not many even know it is here;

Hi everyone, well, a site can't become active just by one person. one of the reasons that 3d buzz was active at old times, was it's members spreading the news about it's content all over the web. for example, when the MMO series started? Jason only sent a simple intro video saying that it was a project they HAD IN MIND and it would be OVER THE SHOULDER and not sure what would happen, but it caused havok all over the net and many people would attend to each class even if it would be simple story reading by zak. question is, who was responsible of gaining that much attention? the concept of MMO itself? i don't think it was the MMO itself. was it the story? sure not. then the only thing remaining was people's energy being spent on the project. all those who participated in the class. although what lee was doing at the time, was something you couldn't find anywhere else, but at the same time, now that i am more familiar with unity, i can say, was a very wrong approach but still, the main thing is that, a site will be popular and busy if and only if it's members be active. there is no way around it. hell, you can simply put a post about your own project, something like what you are busy with, what buttlenecks you are facing with in the project, what problems you may need help on it, your experience on doing the project, and other simple stuff, and you would be shocked to see how much people would reply as time passes. anyways, for those of you who are following my series, i uploaded the last two episodes of the chapter one, here new year will start in few days, and i will be out of city for a month, after that, i will start pushing the chapter 2, and just a little teasing, it will be a behavior tree system. although i have problem with connecting to the ftp account nelson provided for me, but it can be totally a problem on my side, but still, me and steven still are able to share stuff with other ways, so, in a month, get ready for a whole new chapter.
    have fun everyone.
    If you want to learn something, start teaching about it to others, nothing will help you more than that !

Quito, Ecuador (A small country in South America)
    Quote Originally Posted by Something View Post
    I've been trying to figure out ways to bring back more people to the site but haven't been able to other than keep re-Tweeting the Twitter posts.
    It's Something, the bot!!!

I too am keenly awaiting agents. I dunno why I lost touch with 3DBuzz. I think some of the content that started to show up was to dispersed, or dozens of hours long. When I'm trying to learn something quickly for my job I can't really spend that much time.

To me one of the things that did it was that Buzz himself stopped being as active, so I felt I lost that connection with the founders and members of the site. Also, the redesigned site made it less about the forums and more about the content or products. I really lost interest when the site changed and found it tougher to do what I used to or interact the way we used to.

I do wish the site would return to its former glory

I agree with forum problem. But buzz leaving videos? Seriously? He owns the business, that is tru but remember this, many things happen in a person's life. It's tru that his joining videos was a nice touch. But don't forget, at the same time it would mean having big limitations on recording hours.On the other hand, short videos can't teach stuff after a certain point of your knowledge and career ! They are only good for basics
    If you want to learn something, start teaching about it to others, nothing will help you more than that !

I would consider that Buzz was a Charismatic leader, of sorts, that attracted people to the site. Plus having Zak added to that. It's a big part of what made this place. But I guess he got burnt out...it happens...I get it.

That's not to take anything away from Nelson. He's great at what he does. But the site is not the same. "Working the Crowd" was always a part of this site. People were inspired and entertained and motivated.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by joepug View Post
    I would consider that Buzz was a Charismatic leader, of sorts, that attracted people to the site. Plus having Zak added to that. It's a big part of what made this place. But I guess he got burnt out...it happens...I get it.

That's not to take anything away from Nelson. He's great at what he does. But the site is not the same. "Working the Crowd" was always a part of this site. People were inspired and entertained and motivated.

Just my opinion.
    I don't think buzz was burnt out, actually i know for the fact that it's not the case, i had the chance to talk with angela via pm about him, i won't go into details because well, it's buzz's personal life, but i know that he has lots of things in his plate to digest right now. About nelson, well, know that i somewhat got used to his pace on coding, when i go back and watch lee, heh, it's like snail coding not only that, but trust me, i can tell that nelson is way more professional than lee, at least when it comes to what he is teaching. Lee was a very good mentor when it would come to basics, but, beyond basics, I would think that lee would fall back compared to nelson. Zak, hmm, how to put this, he is totally another story. he was good at using 3d applications, and teaching them to others. But, with the decision that was made (my guess, no proof for this) it looked like 3dbuzz decided to take a new approach and go for teaching programming stuff. that is totally understandable, after all, there are so much content you can push about maya, 3d max and many other applications, and buzz had done it during the years. after some point, there is nothing really new to put there. I think that was why the company decided to take a new approach and go for programming content, this area will never end and I think Zak couldn't do much in this area, that is where Lee and Nelson would come in. I had the chance to talk with lee via some messaging online. If any one was burnt out by the pressure of the job, it was lee. The amount of pressure that Buzz put on lee for terrain R&D content caused some problems between the two and that was the reason Lee decided to leave the community, but behind the scene, at least, I think there was another unspoken reason, Lee knew that with the new approach the company was taking, and the learning curve that Nelson was producing for us, Lee would fall back, at least, "I think" that was a personal reason for lee to decide and leave the community. But, as i said, the main reason that the site became less active could be something totally different.
    As others mentioned, the new website design was focused more on the content show and less friendly for forum community, even now, after all this time, i find it hard to track some subjects on forums, and even when i post something on other forum sections, they won't show up on new post section, that would make it very hard for community to use the website for anything else other than watching videos.
    At the same time, the sudden halt on the MMO project was another reason, there was a big energy collecting behind that project by people who would participate on the classes, so much expectation, and suddenly, everything came to a screeching halt. That by itself, unmotivated many many people. Unfortunately, when Buzz decided on this project, he didn't see something really important, even if he would not go for online multiplayer game, a simple RPG (single player) game, would need tons of coding and preparations behind the scene and then hours upon hours of video recording. there are many different sections of the system that would need time and effort to develop, now, add to this equation the problem of multi player system, and online gaming, well, you get the picture.
    MMO was doomed to come to that halt from day one of the project, but, that doesn't mean there was not learning material there. I think back then, lee was the very first person who pushed some video tutorials out there about procedural mesh generation in unity, and don't forget, at the time, he was working with unity 2.x ! sure, now if you search youtube, you can find more and more videos on the subject, but at the time, lee was the first person who teach the proper way of doing it.
    then it came CGS, at the time, unity had his old GUI system and there was no demonstration of the new gui system, that is why nelson thought the cgs would work easily with the new gui system with minimal tweaks, who knew that the new gui system would make cgs obsolete, but still, making your own language, parsing it and connecting it to unity, it a big learning material there.
    Next came rune slinger, it still has big stuff to learn from, it was one of the most developed tutorials about photon/unity communications.
    then the auto updater chapter came, well, i still am not a big fan of that chapter simply because it is more about web development and making connection between a launcher and website on back ends. for me, a person that uses unity as a hobby, that is not something interesting, but i can't deny the fact that for those who want a company focused on game development, that is a gold mine.
    next chapters, well, i think when the next chapter about rpc framework came out, nelson was not still sure how he would want to approach the future of the project. but now, he decided to push everything out of the window about an MMO for time being and focused on a MOBA game. if you ask me, that is a good decision, yet, at he same time, little upsetting. the chance to see a game made online from scratch up to the finished product, is still something i look forward to learn from. but moba, won't have many different mini systems that MMO or RPG would have, like skill system, inventory, dialogue systems and many others.\
    That is why i decided to try my hand and help the community my self. as i said few posts above, we can't expect a single person to do all the job. I know that i can handle those mini systems to be a modular developments. For example, i can make use of lee's R&D on terrain but with a huge tweak to make it really production ready. I can make a dialogue system that could work alone without dependency to other stuff in project, i can make an item/inventory system the same way. so, why should i sit and wait for nelson to squeeze his time and make the videos when i can help and make them?
    At the end, there is still something big left for community, to help us in any shape or form, remember, when MMO was starting, there were many many members that were pushing 2D concepts to forums helping zak and then steve about developing the game concept! so why that community suddenly shut himself down? there are people around this community that can do 3d modeling, some can do texturing, animating characters and many more stuff, they had learned it from 3dbuzz and they can help make this community stand back on it's feet, but they decided to leave and go for their life. Sure each one of us need a job and income to live, but, we can put few minutes each day for fun and help community can't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Tedfs View Post
    Some of us still pop in from time to time too see if Agents is out yet.

Check this out. I remember way back when, that agents had something to do with Houdini. This may be what you have been waiting for. https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?opt...176&Itemid=412
    Check out my work thread.
    http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=152712

Keep on rockin' in the free world.
    3DBuzz Rocks

I stop in once awhile to see what is new.

Quote Originally Posted by 6dollarman View Post
    Check this out. I remember way back when, that agents had something to do with Houdini. This may be what you have been waiting for. https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?opt...176&Itemid=412
    The Agents I saw when 3DBuzz took that road trip to SIGGRAPH was created in Maya. I believe Joel pretty much hijacked it (I think?) so not sure if anyone is working on another version of Agents.
    Randy Wong

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast