Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trying to find out some information about the MMO course

Hi! Before paying for this course I wanted to find out some information about it. Is this still an ongoing course and still under active development? Is this compatible with the current version of Unity? If I where to start now which Chapter would I start on since I only get 1 token per month? The older chapters appear to be for much older versions of Unity, has all that been refactored for the current version?

Thanks!

Bump. I am also interested in participating, but even though I see a video posted recently, I do not see any other artifacts relating to the class team/membership.
    John Bergman aka RadioactiveXP

I have the source and I am not afraid to use it!
    I'd rather have a blue sky above me that a blue screen in front of me!

Yes it's still under active development. At the moment it's about 1 video per week.
    It's worth watching from the beginning, but start typing at chapter 10.

Both Unity and Visual Studio have had revisions since chapter 10, but the latest videos do use current versions of both.

Chapters 10 and 11 both have free introduction videos to see if it's what you want to do.
    If you pay for a year in advance you can also download the videos from chapter 10 onwards.

Note: lots of time is spent building a website and other infrastructure to facilitate the auto-updating client, so don't expect to be typing in combat and inventory systems yet. It takes a long time for 1 person to do an MMO. It's Massive in more ways than just the name.
    In fact the videos are only just at the point of joining a game lobby, so you might or might not think progress is slow. But along the way you will pick up a ton of knowledge. I hope you are tenacious. Don't expect a simple project.

You also might like UNITY RPG API CORE series done by a viewer if you want to get into action faster.

(Already purchased the member sponsor for a year ) One of the videos I watched mentioned that some of the assets used would be available, where would I get my hands on them as I work through the various videos? I also some forum postings that looked like git related; I watched the very first video and it indicated that the code would not be available, is that still the case?

Already been through the RGP API videos, that is actually what brought me here from youtube.

I also see mention of MOBA, is that separate from the MMO? I don't see many other references to it.

Finally, Is there still IRC, etc and/or radio going on? The last one looks like it was from September.

You aren't missing any assets if you start from chapter 10. The existing assets don't relate to chapter 10-12 so far except for one cs code file I believe which Nelson thought was critical. Mine worked from the videos so I didn't need it.

The arty side of 3dbuzz is developing assets that will be available when they are needed. (2 races with their own artwork etc)

To download the training videos, you need to contact sjc2112 in a pm to get a download link. You occasionally see a sjc2112 post saying more videos have become available and to contact him. A new set are pretty much overdue right now in fact. There are no downloads for the sourcecode for the videos except that one cs file I mentioned above.

At the start of chapter 12 a decision was made by 3dbuzz to develop the project as a moba since it would be possible to get a ton of it done much faster and that a lot of it could be then used to continue on with the mmo.

You can visit the irc channel, but there's not a lot of chat going on there at all. I'm afraid I was just as much a lurker as everyone else there, and I just stopped going. Vicious circle - we'd all be there if it was active, but we ain't so it isn't.

That "playtest_10_23_15" with the people running around was the only one done in recent times. It basically showed us what we are doing in chapter 12.

I am sure css_maya will be pleased to hear his videos brought you along to 3dbuzz. Welcome!
    Last edited by oldngrey; 03-21-2016 at 05:19 AM.

Thanks for the insight

Quote Originally Posted by oldngrey View Post
    I am sure css_maya will be pleased to hear his videos brought you along to 3dbuzz. Welcome!
    Hell Yah, welcome to site buddy, about MMO, well, there are great content there when lee is doing R&D on terrain, i will build my terrain system based on his research with a very big turn of pipeline that would convert how you would approach the system, but the calculations will be based on his research, so i suggest you watch the videos, and if you dig around the forum posts, you would find his assets being sent to the forums here and there, but i think if you open the chapters, you could download the assets there (all of those assets are just images he use)
    Also, about the reason nelson decided to go for moba, basically, when you want to develop any rpg based games (MMO project included) there were tons of mini systems that you would need to develop, from dialogue up to inventory, ai and many other systems, but the most important aspect of MMO would be how a server and client would talk to each other, that is why nelson decided to work on MOBA first, this way, we wouldn't need many of those mini systems and still were able to focus on server client side of things. personally, i am not a big fan of his uploader chapter, but didn't had time to strip the code to just focus on what is needed for the real game to work. His differed class that he developed in the last chapter, is a god sent gift for humanity though
    If you want to learn something, start teaching about it to others, nothing will help you more than that !

as a member sponsor for a year, using Unity5, i've completed first 5 chapters of MMO series, completely satisfied, I recommend this very valuable course to everbody who is willing to understand the details of coding a complex structure. I know these first chapters aren't necessary for the MOBA structure, but due to there aren't any similar recorded workflows, don't hesitate to be a member of 3DBuzz.

Defiantly worth the money, I've learned a ton from the videos and I keep going over the videos again and again. A+++++ Good Ebayer lol

Agree, I decided to start from the beginning as well... the course material is really good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast