Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So what ideas do you have in mind for your own projects

At some point our projects are going too take a different path from whats being created as part of the moba/mmo project as we try implement our own mechanics. What ideas do you guys have that you might want to see in you own projects. For me I loved ultima online and I'd like to recreate some of the mechanics from UO in my own project like how armor was never bound to a single player and could be bought or sold as many times without limit. I loved how players who carried out dasteredly acts against others where flagged as criminals and could not enter the main towns of UO without consequence.

I've always toyed with the idea of the "Omega Tank" game that I played on the C64. While the graphics by today's standards would be really dated, it featured a scripting language that you used to program the tanks computer with. It would run the commands exactly as you entered them. The language wasn't verbose but I thought it was pretty cool.

Love these ideas, would love to hear more!

Eventually I'll post my idea on the WIP forum (not yet as I haven't actually started anything on it), but what I plan to get from the MMO classes is how to deal with levels on a massive scale. My game won't be multiplayer or online, so that leaves me with the massive part.

Here's my take on this thread:

I've been a hardware and networking nerd for years but I've always wanted to get involved in software and scripting games. A decade back when Ultima Online was the thing a bunch of server emulators sprung up, one of which was POL. So I ran a shard and scripted for over 6 years and even visited San Diego where I had a bit of a drunken evening with one of the devs for the emulator. Well he got drunk, I maintain I didn't. No Aussie could accept being less of a drinker than an American. I digress.

What I really liked about Ultima Online was the vast exploration and the freedom do just about anything I wanted in the game without being bound to ever-questing (pun). And when I found I was reasonably good at scripting the server side of things I was in heaven.

But all things come to an end. I decided to stop hosting my game and write a real one. It took over a year of trying all the stuff out there and eventually decided I really liked the idea of scripting in C# and found my way here.

When I started doing chapter 10 of the BuzzMMO project, the hardware and networking side of me went a bit overboard. I have 2 cable ISPs so my client can actually travel 1000km to reach the server that is 1 metre away.
    So, then I built myself a server farm of course:
    * There is the Windows 2012 domain controller which also hosts the web part of the BuzzMMO project as well as the database.
    * One server is reserved for Photon, so it's not heavily loaded as yet.
    * My newest server is there just for Team City but will also be the backup domain controller. I didn't want a lengthy build slowing down another server.
    * I have one other server that hosts VMWare Ubuntu for another game I play a bit with a friend or two. It would be a Photon Region server one day. Right now it's Linux running inside Server 2012.

Being on the same Domain does have some advantages in sharing usernames like 'deploy' across the network and being able to deploy from TeamCity across a UNC share to the Photon box.

So, if you've read this far you might be wondering if I would ever get back on topic. What am I actually doing all this for if not to bankrupt my wife and have all these computers in my study, and make Asus and Noctua very rich?

My frustration in playing Ultima Online was the 2.5d world as well as the fact that I couldn't write the client, and a copyright conscience to boot. So here I am, heavily inspired by a dream a decade old and wanting to actually write a game.
    I still think procedurally, I still code like a novice, but I can actually get something to run and work. It would be nice to think polymorphically and sometimes I can if I keep the lines short.

I missed the last few minutes of the radio show, and I've just listened to it. This reply in this thread is in the spirit of actually investing in the community here. If I can help I will. If I can't, I will try and shut up if I can't encourage you to keep going. Because Nelson doesn't have the time to answer every question I guess it means we have to be a bit of a self-help group even more. I wish I knew what I was talking about. Ask me about servers or something.......

I started out with UO, playing and becoming a master at a skill, and once I learned you couldn't master all the skills on one character, I bought more copies of the game so I could master more skills... Played Evercrack, it's sequal, war hammer, WoW, vanguard.. Etc..

As I played the newer games, I always longed for the nostalgia I had for the older ones. I hate the idea of shards, or seperate servers.. I hated instanced areas even more..

What I want to see is while I'm pushing a group through a serious crawl, the group in front of us, or behind us.. Joining forces with another group to see if the boss really is that much of a bad-ass.. Or just walking to the blacksmith and opening the door to find it was trapped with a master poisoner (I never did that, I promise!)...

The feel of those old games is where I'd like to return. Do anything, go anywhere, meet EVERYBODY.. But I'd like to see the same attention into making it feel like you have a part in the world.. Let decay hit an area, and see the community battle the horde back to see the area peaceful again, knowing you made a difference..

I played UO on Atlantic, I was in LNR if anyone remembers them. I used to place GM poisoned chests inside IDOC's. schadenfreude was so much fun watching Trammies(people who played PVE and stayed in Trammel) die and lose all the loot from the IDOC, Their lose my gain. but all the fun stuff has been patched. From what I understand the game is still profitable and no signs of dying just yet. Anyways, I went out and bought an old Sun Ultra 40 M2 from a colleague at work to use a server to host photon, website, MySQL its running on windows server 2012 data center. It's all working ok but im very much wet behind the ears when it comes to servers. Ive been reading up alot recently on persistent worlds and photon, at the moment im tinkering around with unity and MySQL trying to store item data etc, but from what I am reading this is a very insecure way of doing things. What would be the best approach to handling character data from unity and Mysql?
    Last edited by GreyWalker; 09-30-2015 at 05:33 PM.

GreyWalker - Since you have a lot of the hardware already setup, might I suggest an OnPremise Cloud solution such as Windows Azure Pack (Soon to be AzureStack with the new server) or maybe OpenStack. It would allow you use your server farm to its full potential with easier managing. Setup VMs, DBs, Sites and all through a common scalable interface. That way you can use all of your hardware and partition its compute and resources as needed.

Sounds interesting am385 and I think I'll take your advice, it'll give me something to focus on while waiting for the next series of videos. I'm looking at few youtube videos at the moment on Windows Azure Pack, This is the first time I've really dealt with running my own servers. At the moment I have no VM's running, everything is running in the one place on the server 2012 installation, I've installed Active Directory, IIS, DHCP and DNS, I take it Windows Azure Installs over this and that I should be adding separate VM's for MySql TeamCity is that correct?
    Last edited by GreyWalker; 09-30-2015 at 05:34 PM.

I am pretty sure that is correct. Those tech are the basis of what Azure Pack is made of. It just handles the management of them at a single point. You can still setup your AzurePack to use Active Directory and Domain as the basis for credential handling.

The most basic implementation can run on one machine and handle all of the creating through a web portal or programmatically.

The more advanced versions will have a host machine for the services and multiple client machines (storage boxes, compute clusters, ect...)

From there the system will be running its own Virtualization service platform providing IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) and PasS (Platform as a Service).

While it might seem daunting to setup, it will give you an awesome platform to host anything with. It can also create a bridge between your OnPremise cloud and the Azure Cloud so that you can have a vNet connecting them and spin up resources in the real Azure cloud if your OnPremise hardware is maxed out.

I have been toying with the idea of running this in my home for a while, but the hardware I have is currently limiting me as I consolidated all of my stuff in my most recent build. I used to run a file server, a Gaming/Dev box, an another old VM box. Now I moved all of my hard drives into my Dev Box for a total of 8 drives (1 480GB SSD OS/Software Drive, 2x 240GB SSD Raid 0 Gaming Drive, (2x 2TB + 2 X 1TB in Raid 0) Dynamic Drive for Storage, 40GB old SSD for cache) with 32GB of RAM and a 6 core CPU. I decided it would host all of my files, games, and VMs. It makes for a very heavy machine though with limited horizontal scalability.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast