MMO / MOBA news is exciting

Really looking forward to this being a focus here. I have been waiting for more videos and seem to rip through them within days of release. Hopefully this will mean a many more videos to come. I might have to jump on one of those new pricing structures for membership if there will be a more constant stream of content.

I did not see a time frame for when this will start? Can we expect new content in the next month or so?

Yep, within the next month we'll have a playtest night to see if the R&D is up to snuff, and then get what it recorded. After talking with Nelson about the new(ish) plan, we liked the idea of playtesting and getting performance feedback before recording what we created rather than the other way around (as it often has been). That way we'll get faster, better training products out that have seen some test time!

Any chance of joining in on the playtest

Oh yeah, when it gets announced it'll be come one come all the more the merrier!

Fantastic news Hi 5!

Glad to hear there is still a lot of progress still going on with this program. I have an idea now that I want to make so will definitly be stopping by this area more.

Added: Oh yeah, and I definitely want to get in on those play tests.
    Last edited by Something; 09-14-2015 at 07:53 PM.

I know I may be complaining a lot, but before I start another complain, let me explain why. I am an old member of 3D buzz, this single website was the whole education I got on Unity3d and kicked me so fast toward becoming a semi decent programmer for unity 3d. When I saw MMO project starting, I thought to my self : "Oh god, this will take long but will teach me everything I would ever need.". When I saw lee starting his terrain system, I didn't had money to become a member sponsor but still, every week I would load the list page and sulk on the amount of content each week was publishing. That is why when I had enough money to become member sponsor for two months, I spent ALL (and I really mean ALL) my saved money and got those access to those videos. when I was watching first chapters, I was really learning tons and tons of stuff, but lets face it, the ending of his terrain, left so many things unadressed. OK, I understand it, it was R&D but at the same time, covered more than enough that if a person was a capable programmer, he would be able to get the torch himself, and continue in the way he/she would want to.
    then there was a big pause in the project. I could understand it, but then.... Nelson happens. well, aside from cracking bad jokes, I still can understand why he had to pause some systems specially CGS, because lets face it, the new unity gui would make that system almost obsolete.
    Now, I see another announcement of MMO/MOBA continue, and there was 2 chapters that I never had chance to watch. I was excited when I saw Nelson was developing his serialization system. why? I had worked with protobuff in an R&D project of mine, the worst thing I hate about protobuff, was that if I wanted to cover AOT, I had to make a separated project, compile to an .exe file, run it, get the .dll, put it in unity, then continue my main project in unity development. it may not look much, but when you think about trying to serialize a node based editor,.... yah, some of those classes needed to sit in a solution that had nothing to do with unity !!!
    That is why I was excited to see nelson implementing a serializer that would work with unity specifically, and not only that, it would handle IL2CPP in future. that + the fact that new videos were coming, pushed me getting a year member sponsor this time. but when I watched the first few minutes of Nelson's serializer video, my whole hope was ruined, as I said in another forum post, I understand the need for compacting data for network, but, why not handling data storage too? if he was planning to farther continue terrain system (he says he would at the start of chapter 10) then for data persistence, one way or another, he would want to have something like that in place. not only that, if he would ever try to make a behavior tree, or a dialogue editor (something that I am working on it and recording videos on you tube myself) then again he would want his serializer to be capable of saving data on some file. people suggest database, but for obvious reasons, for something like dialogue editor/behavior tree designer, that would be worst suggestion I ever heard of.
    So, after explaining the reasons of my anger and disappointment, let me say what I would like to see in the very first few chapters at least :
    1- a decent, complete solution for serialization that not only handle base object types, but also more and more complex stuff.
    2- the continuation of the terrain system because that is neglected for more than 2 years by now
    3- how about leaving the networking side for few chapters and focusing on unity and it's editor side of things as nelson mentioned in start of chapter 10, he had done lots of things for the networking by now.
    4- the actual game development, not only server/client talk and handling. a MOBA or worse, MMO, or RPG games, are not only server/client handling, there are tons of things to cover, like character stats, abilities, skills, dialogue, ai, .... to be honest, I am fed up with network handling as it is right now. I would like to see some unity actions and after those very base needed stuff in unity getting covered, then I would sit and watch 5-10 chapters of making it so that those base systems work on network.

that all being said, I hope that new series start soon. right now, there is 2 chapters that I need to watch (10,11) and then the second series on unity ai (I think 2.1?) but after that, I am empty handed and sitting and waiting for new content.

also, another two things I was thinking of. I am not sure when and how unity will handle nav mesh in future, they have very little info on their road map regarding it, what I would really like to see was a way to generate nav mesh in run time, taking an example of lee's terrain, if we would like to have a nav mesh just for loaded patches, then we would want to generate them at run time to make it smaller on data size for a level.

the second thing, if you didn't noticed by now, photon and bolt joined forces, although I said I don't want to watch yet another video series on networking stuff, I would at least want to hear few minutes of explaining if the future would use bolt solution or not and if not, why not.

I just hope nelson read this. also, a short video explaining what would happen in chapter 12 would be nice. just like what he had for chapter 10. so that in the mean time we are waiting, we would at least know what is coming next :/
    If you want to learn something, start teaching about it to others, nothing will help you more than that !