So a little off topic.

So I was going over the videos, trying to more understand how the code works and was wondering what kinda backgrounds people come from who are also working on the mmo project. I graduated last June from University with a Hons degree in Software Development and I am now working as a developer with a multi national who develop their own in house software. Programming is something really enjoy but I find some the concepts used in the mmo really hard to grasp and I guess this is making any problems that arise difficult to fix. Nelson must be a genius to be able to write this himself. I re-watch the videos on the way to and from work each day trying to understand whats going on under the hood.

Yep, I even went to far as to start over again just because I was learning so much. Even going over the comprehensive asp.net videos to get more info about them - made me realise the mmo classes are skipping things that are useful, like all the hacker fixes.

But anyway, on a personal note, I ran a Ultima Online server for many years using POL. If you know what that means, it means you are from the heady early days of private servers for MMO's. I wanted to write a game to bring UO up to date, but ended up with a much expanded view of game writing in general. I keep getting asked when my game will be finished, but it's just too much fun absorbing the new stuff.

By the way, if you ever subscribed to CJR gaming you might be interested to know he has recently re-surfaced after a year and has plans to redo his MMO videos. I heard in some of 3dBuz's earlier videos where he would pop up and Nelson seemed to know him. Always wondered what would happen if CJR Gaming and Nelson ever got together...... yeah a whimsical thought. But an awesome one!

I follow CJR too and recently saw that post. I loved that he went about developing his server, but I think that Nelson is putting in the work in the base infrastructure to be a stronger easier to use implementation. I was able to start extending it in a private branch pretty easily already. I really hope he goes with a nice load balancing system instead of just a purely region/zone based system.

About Me - I graduated from UNC-Charlotte with a degree in Computer Science and now I am working as a Software Engineer at Microsoft in Redmond, WA for the past 2 years. I worked on reliability of the Windows 8.1 Photos/Movies applications. Now I am on the Microsoft Edge team working again on reliability of the product. I basically write tools that automate our testing infrastructure for our product on multiple platforms.

I have been using Unity for about 6 or so years and love game development as a hobby. I was a big MMO fan back in the day and cut my teeth on EQ back in 1999/2000 and have been a fan of MMOs ever since. My hope is to create a persistent world that is hosted and load balanced by Azure. I want to be able to have dynamically migrating regions instead of zones and servers that spin up on demand when needed. I can't wait for the next set of MMO videos to be out.

I checked out CJR's YouTube channel its very interesting, Ultima Online was the first MMO for me...good days I played on the Atlantic shard, it was real fun to go to house collapses and the free for all that ensued to grab loot. I like how items in UO weren't bound to a player and could be bought an sold on and on to different players. I've been playing Shroud of the Avatar now and again but I find its combat pretty clunky at times, it'll be good to see it when its out of beta.

OOOooo! I was Atlantic Shard too!! a few years back, i jumped back on for a little bit and some of the armor I had on had been removed from the player base, people were willing to paypal me a few hundred dollars for it. I laughed.. my character is still wearing it some where in the nether regions of the internet.. UO was hard to get into though, i think it had a higher learning curve than Eve does. Or at least.. the players killed you quicker if you messed up.

I'm 17 years career military here. I've used "computers" in the army that have been anything from glorified slide rules to the modern day PC doing the same exact job, just more pretty, takes longer, and higher priced..

Programming wise, I'm completely self taught. I started in basic with a commodore 64 back in my childhood, learned c++ (marginally) some place in the 90s while on tour, and created a few little apps. I really joined the hobby in earnest around the mid '00s with XNA. I had a few basic little space shooters and a mario clone that are somewhere.. maybe still on my old xbox. And a friend of mine asked if i'd ever done any of the 3dbuzz videos on XNA. So i became a member here. The MMO website i've found refreshing, and a challange worth my mettle. The Framework and RPC stuff i've be found wanting. I some how got everything working, but i'm going to go with i was the lucky monkey that pressed the right keys rather than skill. I'm hoping that the next few chapters that when we actually start using that stuff it'll just click at some point!