Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool New MMO Content!

Hey guys! I know it's been a while. I've been so focused on the Android course (and the future mobile courses!) lately. However, I really did want to do some more work on the MMO, so I've gone ahead and put together a little mini-series on how we can take advantage of msbuild to generate C# code during compilation!

Basically, I've been thinking a lot about the new IL2CPP runtime that Unity is going to be pushing soon. Sadly, because of the AOT compilation, that will prevent us from doing stuff like dynamic code generation. Since dynamic code generation is something that is central to the RPC framework (and future things), I needed an alternative.

So, I came up with one: static code generation! I got the idea because now the asset pipeline from Unity is available in Standard, we should have been able to do some fun code generation within Unity itself. However, that simply wasn't meant to be due to a variety of catch-22 issues. Not to suggest that you can't hook into Unity's pipeline to do code generation - but for this particular situation, it ended up being impossible.

I've put together a small system that allows C# files to be generated at compile time, and baked into an assembly. This will allow us to continue to use the RPC framework as it is now, without any modifications to make it work on iOS or IL2CPP!

In addition to the code generation itself, I also go over the creation of a simple command line interpreter that we will be using in the future to create a text/chat based command system for mods/admins/gms in the game. It's pretty bare bones at the moment; but with the way I wrote it, and tested it, it will be extensible enough for our future use.

So... Yeah! This technique opens a lot of doors! Check the videos at the bottom of this page:
    http://www.3dbuzz.com/training/view/...-rpc-framework

Thanks!
    Nelson
    Need any help? Feel free to PM me - or send an email directly to nelson@3dbuzz.com!

Good good good. Tome to paid for the mebership again!.but now a question araise. Why unity Will not use the public net clr and core net that microsift have recetly made the source code enable? So for the feature why unity have still to use mono?

This post just made my month! Time to limber up my fingers and see if i can still keep up with Nelson's 300 words a minute! Appreciate the work, keep it up!

because Unity mono is not a native mono but their own home-brew.

Hoping another set of new videos is coming soon. I burned through this set in 2 days.

Gonna ping this again as it has almost been another month. Any idea when new content will be available for this series?

The Android project will be completed within the next week or two and Nelson will be able to focus more of his attention back on the MMO content.
    Angela Busby
    Email: angela@3dbuzz.com
    PM (Private Message): Angela
    Need help with store orders, please PM me!

Awesome, thanks for getting back to me Angela. I am excited for more content.

Quote Originally Posted by SachaM View Post
    because Unity mono is not a native mono but their own home-brew.
    not quite right, read this post from their developers :

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/off...7#post-1889521
    If you want to learn something, start teaching about it to others, nothing will help you more than that !

On a side note, 2 months from when am385 mentioned the end of the mobile series and no news from nelson, honestly, i was pulling my hair when the first series on the terrain R&D was going on because i couldn't get membership for economic reasons, each week i would refresh the page and cry for the amount of new videos being published. would read the forum post about lee developing it and his tests and would drool and day dream. the time i got the chance for membership he was already gone but i was waiting for new amazing stuff with same speed and energy the whole thing started. but now.... i don't even check that section as frequently, i would revisit that link once a month and say oh ok, just the same ! i won't even rush for membership i will sit and wait to see what will happen now.
    if you ask me, many times, i wondered if the MMO series will EVER get to the game mechanics, and UNITY stuff, i know what nelson had covered by now is essential, but for someone as talented as him, i think it would be easy to develop those systems, recording the videos and publish them on time line base. so , i can't stop asking myself this question : What is happening to 3dbuzz and MMO, WHY NOT more development on that amazing project that had THAT big energy behind it at the start from members of 3dbuzz. WHY WHY?
    If you want to learn something, start teaching about it to others, nothing will help you more than that !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast