Backing up MYSSQL Databse to move to another machine

I am in the process of upgrading to a newer machine and would like any advice or problem that may occur on the process of moving a MYSQL database over to another machine. Has anyone did this before? did it go smothly?

I do this multiple times per day with all sorts of different database systems mysql, sql, oracle, as long as the new machine has the same version as your prior machine had for mysql you shouldn't have any issues...even going from an older version to a newer version should be mostly problem free....drop a post if you run into any problems and I'll try and help sort you out .

Thanks alptraum230 I'm just wait on some new RAM being delivered before I build the new machine, If I run into any drama's I'll give you a shout.

no problems, as I said I do this stuff all the time at work, just make sure you have an actual backup of the database and keep the transaction logs, even if you somehow destroy the old machine with those things saved somewhere, we can happily rebuild everything from scratch and get you back working again...but thats the worst case scenario.

The information you gave alptraum is lacking. Maybe next time you can give more details.