Autodesk Maya tutorial question

I'm very new to Maya, but the time that I spent with it in my later high school years (animation program at the school recieved a bunch of educational Autodesk programs, but no material to teach it with... so I had to learn the basics myself) was a lot of fun, and I found myself loving this program, and wanting to improve myself with it, and try to make a career out of 3D art/ animation.

Before I purchase the tutorial "Mastering Maya: the Fundamentals" I was wondering if what they teach in that video, still applies to the lay-out, tools ect. in later versions. The video seems to be made, showing Maya 6.5, but the version I've got is Maya 2014. Does the teachings still apply, or should I try to find a newer tutorial? If so, does anyone know where I could find some?

Maya 2014 will have a number of new tools not available at the time, but the concepts remain the same. With a slightly changed layout, you may have to dig around a bit from time to time but the Mastering Maya series remains one of the most comprehensive training products available for mastering the concepts behind using Maya. The forums here are a great place to get help if you get stuck, as well as autodesk's documentation.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreDavid View Post
    I'm very new to Maya, but the time that I spent with it in my later high school years (animation program at the school recieved a bunch of educational Autodesk programs, but no material to teach it with... so I had to learn the basics myself) was a lot of fun, and I found myself loving this program, and wanting to improve myself with it, and try to make a career out of 3D art/ animation.

Before I purchase the tutorial "Mastering Maya: the Fundamentals" I was wondering if what they teach in that video, still applies to the lay-out, tools ect. in later versions. The video seems to be made, showing Maya 6.5, but the version I've got is Maya 2014. Does the teachings still apply, or should I try to find a newer tutorial? If so, does anyone know where I could find some?
    I think the first chapter is available to stream on the site, freely. Follow along with that.