Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Converting unity to C# standalone program possible?

So while i was working on my visual novel in unity i got in to some issues with the toolkit and unity its self like not saving or loading properly crashing when you skip ahead and some others.
    Decided id try to make my own engine for visual novels got the concept right planning design but then cruel reality hit me and gave up cuz of lack of knowledge/experience to do the complicated things like saving the project making it compile the project in a full game etc.
    Then went back in to unity defeated and tried to modify the toolkit.....and that's when it hit me the toolkit is open source so i thought is there any possible way to take a asset/toolkit that you use in unity and turn it in to a standalone C# program? the toolkit is also written in C#. If there is how should i go about doing that?

EDIT:

ok since sdiguana got close to what i meant but still seems to be still a lot of misunderstandings of what i mean im going to try and simplify it

Ok so Unitiy has this toolkit named Visual Novel Toolkit

That is basically a game engine that allows you to make a visual novel in 2 ways wyswyg(what you see is what you get) or using their scripting language that is similar to kirikiri which is the official language used by Japan to make Visual Novels.

So you can think of ViNo(visual novel toolkit) as being a game engine within a game engine(unity). The scripting and all code for ViNo is open source(ofcourse) and is in C#

Example:
    Code:
    using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;
    using ViNoToolkit;

/// <summary>
    /// Vino API Utility Class.
    /// </summary>
    public static class ViNoAPI{

/// <summary>
    	/// Do new game.
    	/// </summary>
    	static public void DoNewGame(){
    		ScenarioCtrl.Instance.DoNewGame();
    	}

/// <summary>
    	/// Do continue.
    	/// </summary>
    	static public void DoContinue(){
    		ScenarioCtrl.Instance.DoContinue();
    	}

/// <summary>
    	/// Go to Next message.
    	/// </summary>
    	static public void NextMessage(){
    		if( SystemUIEvent.Instance != null ){
    			SystemUIEvent.Instance.NextMessage();
    		}
    	}

/// <summary>
    	/// Forces Auto mode.
    	/// </summary>
    	static public void ForceAutoMode(){
    		ViNo.autoMode = true;
    	}

/// <summary>
    	/// Unlocks forced auto mode.
    	/// </summary>
    	static public void UnlockForceAutoMode(){
    		ViNo.autoMode = false;
    	}

/// <summary>
    	/// Enables the update ADV.
    	/// </summary>
    	/// <param name="isUpdate">If set to <c>true</c> is update.</param>
    	static public void EnableUpdateADV( bool isUpdate = true ){
    		if( VM.Instance != null ){
    			VM.Instance.gameObject.SetActive( isUpdate );		
    		}
    	}

/// <summary>
    	/// Saves the data.
    	/// </summary>
    	/// <returns><c>true</c>, if data was saved, <c>false</c> otherwise.</returns>
    	/// <param name="fileName">File name.</param>
    	/// <param name="info">Info.</param>
    	static public bool SaveData( string fileName , ViNoSaveInfo info ){
    		return ViNo.SaveData( fileName , info );
    	}

/// <summary>
    	/// Do quick save.
    	/// </summary>
    	/// <returns><c>true</c>, if quick save was done, <c>false</c> otherwise.</returns>
    	static public bool DoQuickSave(){
    		return ViNo.DoQuickSave();
    	}

/// <summary>
    	/// Do the quick load.
    	/// </summary>
    	/// <returns><c>true</c>, if quick load was done, <c>false</c> otherwise.</returns>
    	static public bool DoQuickLoad(){	
    		return ViNo.DoQuickLoad();		
    	}

/// <summary>
    	/// Play a scenario.
    	/// </summary>
    	/// <param name="scenarioResourcePath">Scenario resource path.</param>
    	static public void PlayScenario( string scenarioResourcePath ){
    		ScenarioCtrl.PlayScenario( Application.loadedLevelName , scenarioResourcePath );
    	}

/// <summary>
    	/// Play a scenario from Info.
    	/// </summary>
    	static public void PlayScenario( ViNoSaveInfo info ){
    		ScenarioCtrl.PlayScenario( info );
    	}

}
    This is the main ViNoApi.cs file as you can see in the using statements it uses unity engine.

Now what I'm trying to find out is how do i get this toolkit/game engine out of unity in to Visual studio C# and make it a stand alone game engine not a game engine within a game engine? Or how can i build a program around it that uses this toolkit/game engine as a stand alone game engine that will compile and build me a visual novel game.

I hope this clears up everything about what i mean and what I'm trying to achieve.

EDIT 2 : here is a quick example of what i mean and what I'm trying to achieve
    http://www.renpy.org
    only difference is this is in python and C++
    Last edited by MoonStar; 07-16-2014 at 02:00 PM. Reason: To save you the trouble of scrolling down

A quick read of this suggests your unity skills, or programming skills or both are seriously lacking in the basics department.

Unity projects with Visual Studio (whatever version your using) will compile to an .exe file after you successfully build it.
    You can also build it to a web player and upload that to your website and let users click on the link, provided they have the unity player installed, the application will open up and they will be able to play it just like a stand alone .exe project ... this is likely a better option for you if you wish mass amounts of people to see it from a website.

You can use unity, or any of the other free engines if you want, however I'd recommend you learn some html5 skills and/or ASP.net if you prefer..since its a web comic/visual novel your building...that sort of media would work best on a website I would imagine.
    Current Dev machine: Intel Core i7 3930K Asus P9X79 Pro, 64 gb DDR3, EVGA GTX 590 3gb, Corsair 750 W PSU, ThermoCool Armor Case, 3x Asus 27" LED's, Kingston HyperX 120 gb SSD x2 0,1 Raid ... I like to go fast

Dev Laptop: Macbook Pro 15'' 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, 16GB, 512GB ssd, Nvidia Geforce GT 750m 2GB

Good Bad, don't matter, im the man with the gun.
    Check out my current Shadowrun/Cyberpunk MMO project at coming soon (

Your clearly missing the the point here. While your right unity projects compile a .exe file after successful build its not the same for one it builds a unity build not a C# build what i meant was taking the source code from the toolkit and converting it to not use unity anymore to get the build.

Code:
    using UnityEngine;
    using ViNoToolkit;
    the using UnityEngine; should no longer be there and need it to be able to compile a build.

Practically what I's saying is taking the toolkit from unity that's practically a editor/engine to build visual novels make it stand alone and get a build from that with out unity being involved. Also your clearly missing the point or lacking the understanding what a visual novel is. Visual novel is not a web comic.
    Code:
    A visual novel (???????? bijuaru noberu?) is an interactive fiction game,[1][2] featuring mostly static graphics, most often using anime-style art or occasionally live-action stills (and sometimes video footage).[3] As the name might suggest, they resemble mixed-media novels.

In Japanese terminology, a distinction is often made between visual novels proper (abbreviated NVL), which consist predominantly of narration and have very few interactive elements, and adventure games (abbreviated AVG or ADV), which may incorporate problem-solving and other types of gameplay. This distinction is normally lost outside Japan, where both NVLs and ADVs are commonly referred to as "visual novels" by international fans. Visual novels and ADVs are especially prevalent in Japan, where they made up nearly 70% of the PC game titles released in 2006.[4]
    this is the wiki definition easy and online definition is its a story that you see what is happening (the visual part) and along the lines of the story you make choices that lead you to one of the good or bad endings.

If you want to drop unity, you need to replace it with something. Flash..? custom engine, whatever you choose. I'm not familiar enough with visual novels to comment much, but it sounds like the level of interaction is more than a comic, but more like a comic than a game, if that's true a simple application could render the pages to an HTML5 <canvas> and you can go from there. (canvas can also be used in WPF applications)
    Last edited by sdiguana; 07-16-2014 at 06:57 AM.

ok since sdiguana got close to what i meant but still seems to be still a lot of misunderstandings of what i mean im going to try and simplify it

Ok so Unitiy has this toolkit named Visual Novel Toolkit

That is basically a game engine that allows you to make a visual novel in 2 ways wyswyg(what you see is what you get) or using their scripting language that is similar to kirikiri which is the official language used by Japan to make Visual Novels.

So you can think of ViNo(visual novel toolkit) as being a game engine within a game engine(unity). The scripting and all code for ViNo is open source(ofcourse) and is in C#

Example:
    Code:
    using UnityEngine;
    using ViNoToolkit;

/// <summary>
    /// Vino API Utility Class.
    /// </summary>
    public static class ViNoAPI{

/// <summary>
    	/// Do new game.
    	/// </summary>
    	static public void DoNewGame(){
    		ScenarioCtrl.Instance.DoNewGame();
    	}

/// <summary>
    	/// Do continue.
    	/// </summary>
    	static public void DoContinue(){
    		ScenarioCtrl.Instance.DoContinue();
    	}

/// <summary>
    	/// Go to Next message.
    	/// </summary>
    	static public void NextMessage(){
    		if( SystemUIEvent.Instance != null ){
    			SystemUIEvent.Instance.NextMessage();
    		}
    	}

/// <summary>
    	/// Forces Auto mode.
    	/// </summary>
    	static public void ForceAutoMode(){
    		ViNo.autoMode = true;
    	}

/// <summary>
    	/// Unlocks forced auto mode.
    	/// </summary>
    	static public void UnlockForceAutoMode(){
    		ViNo.autoMode = false;
    	}

/// <summary>
    	/// Enables the update ADV.
    	/// </summary>
    	/// <param name="isUpdate">If set to <c>true</c> is update.</param>
    	static public void EnableUpdateADV( bool isUpdate = true ){
    		if( VM.Instance != null ){
    			VM.Instance.gameObject.SetActive( isUpdate );		
    		}
    	}

/// <summary>
    	/// Saves the data.
    	/// </summary>
    	/// <returns><c>true</c>, if data was saved, <c>false</c> otherwise.</returns>
    	/// <param name="fileName">File name.</param>
    	static public bool SaveData( string fileName , ViNoSaveInfo info ){
    		return ViNo.SaveData( fileName , info );
    	}

/// <summary>
    	/// Do quick save.
    	/// </summary>
    	/// <returns><c>true</c>, if quick save was done, <c>false</c> otherwise.</returns>
    	static public bool DoQuickSave(){
    		return ViNo.DoQuickSave();
    	}

/// <summary>
    	/// Do the quick load.
    	/// </summary>
    	/// <returns><c>true</c>, if quick load was done, <c>false</c> otherwise.</returns>
    	static public bool DoQuickLoad(){	
    		return ViNo.DoQuickLoad();		
    	}

/// <summary>
    	/// Play a scenario.
    	/// </summary>
    	/// <param name="scenarioResourcePath">Scenario resource path.</param>
    	static public void PlayScenario( string scenarioResourcePath ){
    		ScenarioCtrl.PlayScenario( Application.loadedLevelName , scenarioResourcePath );
    	}

/// <summary>
    	/// Play a scenario from Info.
    	/// </summary>
    	static public void PlayScenario( ViNoSaveInfo info ){
    		ScenarioCtrl.PlayScenario( info );
    	}

}
    This is the main ViNoApi.cs file as you can see in the using statements it uses unity engine.

Now what I'm trying to find out is how do i get this toolkit/game engine out of unity in to Visual studio C# and make it a stand alone game engine not a game engine within a game engine? Or how can i build a program around it that uses this toolkit/game engine as a stand alone game engine that will compile and build me a visual novel game.

I hope this clears up everything about what i mean and what I'm trying to achieve.

As I stated above...you can use html5, you do not NEED unity for this...you could also do this in flash with action script...the engine/method you use to do this is irrelevant.

If you are hell bent on using #c to do this in, then drop unity and build your own program to display the graphics, and dialog text..its not complicated...but you are making it complicated by trying to take a solution that is piggybacking off of Unity, which you clearly do not understand.

The above program you posted, is using Unity's built in functions to handle how it displays information, think of Unity not just as a game engine..but also a programming framework..it has functions already preprogrammed, and you are just calling them to do tasks you wish it to perform.

Another option is to learn unity and design your graphic novel inside it...all your wanting to do is build a small program that displays images on a background, with a dialog box that users select options from basically (this may be a very simplified explanation, but i believe it close to what your trying to do) ... if u go this method, you wouldn't try pulling anything out of unity, instead you would setup scripts that control the dialog text, based on what the user clicks on and what images are being displayed.

If what i've said is true I think I could knock this out in about 30 minutes a rough draft anyways....your looking at creating a GUI and pasting your images onto that GUI , as well as having an interactive dialog system...not an overly complicated program at all.

Just decide what technology your going to use...either C# or Unity, but don't try ripping parts out of one and expecting it to fit into the other..thats not how it works.
    Current Dev machine: Intel Core i7 3930K Asus P9X79 Pro, 64 gb DDR3, EVGA GTX 590 3gb, Corsair 750 W PSU, ThermoCool Armor Case, 3x Asus 27" LED's, Kingston HyperX 120 gb SSD x2 0,1 Raid ... I like to go fast

Dev Laptop: Macbook Pro 15'' 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, 16GB, 512GB ssd, Nvidia Geforce GT 750m 2GB

dude do you even understand what i mean? there is no way you can make in HTML5 flash etc what your suggesting if you dont know what a visual novel is do some research before posting pls

Also you AGAIN have NO CLUE! about what i asked there ViNo is an engine to build games in the unity engine the code i posted was to get a idea of how the main thing looks incorporated in unity all I SAID was how do i take that engine out of unity toss it in VS C# and make it only that not using unity.

think of unity and ViNo not as engines or engine and plug-in but think of unity as a big box and ViNo as a smaller box within that bigger box hope that clears it for you finally

And if its not so complicated as you say then feel free and tell me how to do it

EDIT: Please research what visual novel is before posting again here are some examples Clannad ; Steins Gate ; Fate/stay night are only a few of the most know also be sure to look for the VISUAL NOVEL not the ANIME ADAPTATION.

EDIT 2: here is a quick example of what i mean and what I'm trying to achieve
    http://www.renpy.org
    only difference is this is in python and C++
    Last edited by MoonStar; 07-16-2014 at 02:02 PM. Reason: showing off a example

This is my last reply, since the info your looking for is being given and falling on deft ears. You obviously are not a programmer so were going to stop there, im available at 100/hr, but I doubt you have any $$$ because of your other posts basically begging people to do free work for you.

If you perhaps check your couch and find some cash you could purchase http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/vis...oolkit.217122/ for 30.00 which I doubt you have either or you wouldn't be on this forum would you.

This btw is completely doable in HTML5, it could also be done in almost any other language as well....the above asset I posted is NOT a engine btw..its a framework built within Unity...it is you that needs to do his/her homework.

As for telling you how to do it, i've already given u the basics of what you needed to do within unity

Angry

I apologize for what I'm about to do now hope nelson, buzz and there rest of the staff will understand cant take this bullshit any longer

You're a fucking idiot that thinks hes so high an mighty.

1 where does anywhere in my posts says im looking for FREE work? i NEVER stated i want someone to work only for FREE!
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonStar
    I'm not really full of money so would prefer either to find someone that will do it free to help either give a small percentage of the profit made from the sale BUT that doesn't mean i wont pay upfront if the character design and backgrounds are great. The payment will be made when the project is finished with the art part with a small payment being made upfront at first after the first couple of art pieces are delivered.
    2 here is where your idiotic brain comes in you post showing a toolkit that i previously shown the code and the link and thats the exactly same toolkit i want to get out of unity in to VS C# and I FUCKING BOUGHT IT IDIOT how the fuck you think i would want to export it if i didnt had the full source code/program do you even fucking stop to think before you fucking post?

3 I keep telling you to DO SOME FUCKING RESEARCH BEFORE YOU FUCKING POST I also keep telling you while yes you may be able to make it in html5 YOU CANT its like trying to make a windows in html i fucking gave you example of what a visual novel is even example of what I'm trying to do and what i mean yet you keep on and on and on to do it in HTML5

4 I said its like a game engine within unity ITS LIKE A GAME ENGINE WITHIN UNITY GOT IT? never said its actually a game engine i said ITS LIKE ONE

5 at first i was considering to pay you to teach me but right now i wouldnt pay you even if you were the only developer in the world and only from you i could learn and my life depended on learning programing.

6 I'm not a programer? define what one is then? and while you might be some what right here since im still new and learning i doubt you were better when you first started or no wait you were born with it and you already knew everything about programing

again i apologize for this and i will understand if this post gets deleted but i just cant take idiot snobs like this
    Last edited by MoonStar; 07-16-2014 at 07:20 PM.

Ok. so I looked up this tool (here). So its a tool/plugin for Unity. You can't just pull it out as it has dependencies within unity. In short, you cant get there from here. It is akin to wanting the File Menu from Windows, without the Win32 API, easier to just rebuild custom.
    So in my mind that gives two options:
    1. Buy it / use it with Unity, and find a way to get/work around the bugginess you're experiencing.
    2. Reinvent the Wheel, eg build a custom app. If I were going to do this, I would build a C# WPF application since that route would make this a lot easier than trying via WinForms. In essence, reproduce the tool from the ground up. Looking at the stubs you pasted, i would not even bother with any of the unity code, just do it from scratch. If there is an open source implementation out there somewhere, follow along how it did it, or just use it.

in regards to the other posts... do work on being civil.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	o6EwI0h.gif 
Views:	230 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	74263

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast