Thread: Language usage

Language usage

I'm trying to have a serious go at web development ago but a lot of new stuff has popped up and I'm uncertain as to how to prioritize my learning. Back in the day I used mostly simple html, css and php, but there are now new versions of these languages, as well as other languages available and the lines start blurring in my mind as to what they are used for

so I would appreciate it if someone could clarify for me where and why these particular languages would be used in the web dev world:

html5
    css3
    javascript
    jquery
    python
    then there are frameworks for python like django

I know this is an oversimplifcation but in my mind html and css are used for design and layout, so what does css buy you? css and javascript seem to overlap a bit in functionality with the introduction of css3 (animations etc) so whats the seperation there? python seems to be a server side language used to handle website logic (like php), but can logic not be handled with javascript?

im trying to find a list of the languages that I absolutely must learn, which is difficult when the usage of a language overlaps with another language
    - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - Richard Dean Anderson

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Updated 31/01/05 - 3DBuzz VTM Introduction videos uploaded!)

Personally I've never looked at Python much, so I'm not certain, but I'm guessing that it's used for server-side code, just like PHP or C# for ASP.NET.

html/html5, css, javascript... REALLY short:

HTML = Layout/document-structure
    CSS = Styling of document
    Javascript = client-side manipulation of document

Unfortunately, things don't get any easier from here. In fact... that blurry line IS web-development. Also, HTML, CSS, JavaScript pretty much go hand-in-hand these days and that's completely disregarding the server-side of things. So, whatever might be serving the web-page to the client (may it be php, c#/asp.net, python or whatever), will sent HTML, styled with CSS and manipulated with JavaScript.

Keep in mind, that JavaScript is not just some language to animate something. It can manipulate anything that appears in your browser, but it can also run additional queries back to the server in the background, for updating something on your page without reloading the entire page. The point of JavaScript (I believe), is to be able to run logic in real-time, client-side.
    Some professional is gonna slap me for skipping over details, i'm sure... but the point is: you will need those 3 just for the presentation of the side and additionally one or more languages for the server-side logic stuff.

Don't worry though. It all sounds a lot more scary than it really is. If you feel comfortable with basic HTML & CSS, go pick a programming language for the server-side of things, so you know that. The javascript stuff will fall into place once you're ready for it. You won't immediately need it for simple sites, and when you do, you'll find that somebody else will likely have done what you need already. Just google for it.

Personally I love C# and therefore work in the ASP.NET MVC environment and haven't even looked at any PHP in over two years, but I suggest for the server-side stuff, you start with one of those two. There are a lot of similarities in syntax as well as similarities with javascript syntax. (not saying they're the same. there's quite some differences, but they look more similar and code more similar than python (from what I've seen of the language).

Hope it helps... and hope Nelson isn't going to slay me for being off here and there :P
    Last edited by nGAGE; 01-05-2014 at 06:09 PM.

html5
    css3
    javascript
    jquery
    python

are the extensions of their respective languages.If you want to learn them you have to start with basics first i.e actual HTML,css and other and after that you can go for these advanced versions.Html5 contain some more advanced tags added to HTML.

This is an older'ish post I know, but I wanted to answer it.

html5 This is "Hyper Text Markup Language" it is what makes up the structure of a website. You use it to say, in an hierarchy, where stuff should go. The 5 is just the latest version of HTML, and has some nice goodies in it by default that web devs have been adding for years anyway by hand.
    css3 This is "Cascading Style Sheets" this technology is used to take that hierarchical structure you build with html and make it pretty. You tell it where to put stuff on the screen and how it should look.
    javascript Ah the epitome of "what is old is new again". Back in the day, 15 years ago (wow is it that long), this was mostly used for textbox validation or moving crap on the screen. About 8'ish years ago AJAX came on the scene and brought a slight resurgence to the language so we can do interactive stuff with out refreshing the page. Up to this point all JavaScript, or ECMAScript, was front end code only, but boy could you do a lot with it.

Fast forward to about 3 years ago with the release of the V8 "engine" by google you can now run JavaScript efficiently on your computer. This spawned a new resurgence in using JavaScript not only on the front end, but on the server as well with Node.js. You can do some really cool things with it because they are taking advantage of some of the latest HTML5 goodies like web sockets for doing fast effecient asynchronous communication. (Avoid this until you know what you are doing)
    jquery This is just a javascript framework to make in browser javscript much much much easier.
    python This is a server side language like C#, Ruby, Java, PHP or many others. The most popular framework is Django, which is what I use, The purpose of serverside languages is to do the heavy lifting with regards to data retrieval and storage. Along with serving up all the other stuff to the user.

There are many frameworks: ASP.NET and Nancy for C#/VB.NET, Rails and Sinatra for Ruby, Node.js for JavaScript, Lithium and Zend Framework for PHP, Django and Flask for python. There are many others with many other languages, but they all do roughly the same thing. Some have their strengths over others.

Hope that is a good overview.
    JapanGaku - Blog about Japan, J-Drama, and the Japanese Language
    BuddyLindsey.com - My Development Blog

Hello, I am not sure what I am in the programming world I just do what they want me to do. But I am a game developer in training at home

html5 - scratch out the 5 there for moment. This bad boy helps you tell the browser how to display a certain information. Let's say you have a message that says "HTML is cool" and you want to make the HTML to have a strong font weight a.k.a. "bold" then in your HTML you can do a
    Code:
    <b>HTML</b>
    . Another example would be, if your information is composed of multiple paragraphs then you will have to enclosed each paragraph with the p tag (paragraph)
    Code:
    <p>paragraph one</p>
    <p>paragraph two</p>
    So in summary, HTML is your instructions to the browser how to present the information you have. These instructions are represented called HTML tags.

Putting back the 5 in HTML, I have little knowledge about this iteration of html. But what I know is that they added tags that will help search engine read your web page. there are also tags like video canvas and etc.

CSS - The basic idea of CSS is to style your HTML tags. For example if you want to have your paragraphs to have colors then CSS is going where you should be looking at. Remember this has no functionality, this is pure visual stuff.

javascript - Use this if you want to do form validation, events handling like clicks, key strokes, ajax, redirection and so many many many stuff. But javascript is only limitted to client functionality.

jquery - This is a javascript library. Which means, it makes other javascript functionality easier to do.

python - this is another language, this is a server side language. You will use this to manipulate data.

--------------------------------------------------------
    If you want to learn about web development you should learn first about what is server and client side. After that it would be less confusing to continue studying HTML, CSS, JS and Python or PHP