Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone able to open a Max 2009 file and backsave it for Max 9?

I have a dilemma that I'm hoping someone here can help me with. I recently acquired a set of 32 models, most of which were set up with Max 2009 (one or two with Max 2008 and at least one with Max 2010). I'm currently running Max 9, and while I have the OBJ files, I'd like to get the rigs, material configurations, etc. to work with.

I'm going to be upgrading the models and doing a fair amount of revision to improve the quality level, but I'm not as good with rigging, lighting (for renders), or building high quality materials / shaders. If you're able to do the conversion, you'll get a free model out of the deal, but if you're good with rigging or want to make some of the improvements yourself, I'm willing to pay for some work to be done. These models are for a Turbosquid account (not my personal account, it's an account that will be built out of outsourced work). I want to outsource some of the work to help the account gain traction because I work full time and don't have the time to dedicate to it yet.

Here's the account (which is under re-construction at the moment) for reference; SapphireSentinel

Let me know if you can help!
    Thanks

I have access to a machine running Max 2014, what would be the best format to save them out for your version and still maintain the rigs?
    FBX?

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Before I posted, I installed a 30 day trial of 3DS Max 2014, but it could only backsave to Max 2011. I've never worked with FBX before as an exported format. Do you know if it keeps the envelopes from physique? Are you interested in doing any work on improving models?

it could only backsave to Max 2011
    Hmm likewise, the best I can do is 2010.

Do you know if it keeps the envelopes from physique?
    No idea really, I don't touch Max too often.

Are you interested in doing any work on improving models?
    Sure, all depending on what you mean by 'improving'

...this is dated 2003!
    Chuckle, 'this' is dated Yesterday.
    Jeremy's join date is 2003

I don't know when the ability to back save was added to Max, but I know Max 9 did not have this feature and I know that Max 2014 does. My hope is that there is a version between the two that will allow for saving back to my version. First, if it can save it to my version, I can modify the content, but secondly, it affords more people the use of the models (so folks with older versions like mine can still buy and use the files)

Faux - What I mean by improving the models is just bringing the quality level up. If you look at the models on my personal account (the link in my signature for the user ID Jessup3D) and compare the quality of the models on my newly acquired account (SapphireSentinel), you should see a general difference in quality. Not all of the models on my personal account are up to the quality level I want to see them at, but I'm working on those myself... some of them are quite old and I didn't know as much about building models then as I do now.

I want to improve the models but refining the shapes to better proportions, adding detail and quality to the texture maps, and doing better posing and lighting of the models being advertized. I can currently import the OBJ versions of the human characters, but I have very minimal experience with rigging, so that's my biggest hurdle. For the rest of the revisions, it comes down to being able to afford the time to make modeling improvements (and being able to open the .max files would save a great deal of time).

It's going to be a slow process, but If I can improve the existing models and add new models (by outsourcing the work) I hope to build to the point where I can hire on full time modelers to add contributions. Right now I'm only getting about $200-$300 a month, but if I can reinvest the proceeds to pay for models to be built, that could grow quickly and allow me to generate a sufficient income to build into a full time business (hard to do by myself with a family and a full time job (which is currently in 2D graphics work... pays the bills, but less fun that 3D work)).

I have lists of models to be built, but no time to personally dedicate to the modeling work right now. Until I get to a full time income (which several friends of mine are making on Turbosquid right now, so I know it's possible), outsourcing is the best way to grow the business.

libertycity - It appears that you may have missed my earlier posts, so I'll summarize again here; I only have access to a 30 day trial of 3DS Max 2014 (which means I won't be able to use any of the files saved with that version a month from now).

My personal software license is for Max 9. I don't want the newer version because "it's the best", I want to move files that I have acquired (which were made by someone else, in a different version of Max than I have) into the version I own. I am not complaining about Max 9 (it's what I have and use) though I do like the new features available in the newer versions of Max... but I can't afford the upgrade at this time. Even if I could upgrade, as I stated earlier, I want to save files in a Max 9 format to make the files accessible to more users.

Helpful input is appreciated, but please read the content before commenting. Thanks.

Your response is difficult to interpret because the content is fragmented (e.g.;"...make you a programming language file up and that max backwards..." and "but i don't so"). There are users from all over the world, so I don't know if this is the result of a language barrier or not, but I think I understand your intended meaning.

When you say "back in them days" I presume you mean that Max 9 did not offer backwards compatibility. I am aware of this, as mentioned above. You have already stated that you have and use Max 9 (same as I do, and this is also indicated in your signature), so I am curious how you know what the back-saving capabilities are of the software you do not posses. So, barring a misunderstanding with language, you either have information about the later versions of Max (which you have not mentioned up to this point), or you are making ignorant assumptions and stating them as facts.

I would like to assume that you are not being ignorant, so since you have not indicated that you have familiarity with anything beside Max 9 (and since another member verified that Max does indeed back save in version 2014, a fact which I corroborated with the trial version said that I had downloaded), to which versions of Max after version 9 were you referring?

The simple premise in my query is this; Since there are several versions of the application between Max 9 and Max 2014, it is a logical assumption that the back saving feature may have been introduced prior to Max 2014 but after Max 9, and that earlier iterations may have had the ability to save back to a Max 9 format.

If you have a helpful insight, I am grateful to hear it. If you are merely making uninformed speculation, I would appreciate it if you could indicate that your comments were speculative.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 11-11-2013 at 11:09 PM.

I am not getting into an augment with you i will delete my post it's pointless
    3ds max freelancer video game architectural designer

website [url] http://www.video-game-architectural-design.com
    Facebook [url] https://www.facebook.com/Anthonyoconnor1000

The only thing that I could find that might help was this:
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/bff-2007

Seems like a long shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast