Background switcher

I'm trying to get the background to reflect in the glass. However the poles around the display pick up the background. The environment map reflects well on reflective surfaces however the glass picks up the environment map and not the background.

Did I miss a step somewhere, or try and do something in after effects?

Last edited by omaxsis; 09-26-2013 at 06:59 PM.

im not sure how to fix it in 3dsmax but why dont you try taking the bottom render (with an alphamap) and put the background behind it in photoshop?
    Life is too short to worry about things

I've done that already, i woulds like to to keep the reflectivity of the first image in the second!

1 If you are using Mental Ray are you using a glass pro material?
    2 Are you rendering with force 2 sided turned on?

In general reflectivity is not the functional element that make glass look like glass in the manner you describe but rather refraction of objects behind the object.

In your render it does not even look like transparent glass but rather has the surface qualities of a mirror.

Where I think you got out of step is a lack of understanding that as a materiel what makes glass glass and what you need is a material that does refraction that will create the illusion of thickness.

Simple rule

Reflection = Anything in front of the object.
    Refraction = Anything behind the object.

Thanks for the feedback Frankie. I was able to the desired looked! I rendered out the the posts and egg as a color channel. Then used color key in after effects to remove the color matte!