Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hosting for sites and for unity3d

I am currently looking to purchase a hosting provider for sites and unity3d projects (web builds).

I anticipate that the unity 3d builds will be somewhat demanding (many people potentially accessing them) so any direction given is more than welcomed.

Tiers / package or steps to be taken in this matter helps.

Thanks.

I honestly don't know anything about unity3d (web-builds), but I would assume that very few hosts will offer hosting that's tailored for it. I'll go out on a limb here and say that you'll probably need to rent a dedicated server or buy a server and rent space in a data-center and set it all up and manage it yourself.

I could be wrong of course, as Unity is popular, but it doesn't make much sense for hosts to share CPU intensive services on shared hosing products.

From what I've seen on Godaddy's forum you could run the web-build on their hosting offer with Windows (IIS) instead of Linux. I think that even with Linux it might be possible to run it but haven't tried any variant as of yet.

Didn't see their mods making a case out of stomping the said idea from their customers (in the forum). However once the process becomes too heavy to bear I can foresee that they might stop it and ask that you desist or change to a more "ideal" plan. This is not a shot towards the mentioned company but a -somewhat- realistic idea of how the shared hosting plan works on any provider.

LE: Taking the web-build out of the discussion -for the moment-. What hosting provider would you suggest for sites, in general?

I know I shouldn't say this, but PLEASE believe me when I say that GoDaddy is one of worlds largest and WORST hosting companies out there when it comes to shared-hosting plans. I was stuck with them for 3 years and have never in 10 years had as much grief, shitty service and overall experience on all levels, including connection-speeds/downloads/uploads etc.

I apologize for posting such negative opinion, but if there was even the slightest hint of faith left in me that this company could be of use to you, I wouldn't have posted it.

I also apologize that this reply doesn't help in any way with your original question.

_nGAGE

Thank you for your candid opinion on the matter.

I didn't say that I was looking at them as the potential place to go. I have used them in the past and assume that I will in the future -if the circumstances make it so- but not when I do the acquisition.

From what I gathered atm the web app can run on Linux and Windows. A change at mime might be required if getting error or the file is not showing up.

If I can do this change on the hosting server and not take all the resources from others I might get away with running on the slightly higher priced shared hosting plan. Or that's how I deduced it for now. I am going to do more search on this.

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions...rve-unity.html

PS: No need to apologize for giving your take on the situation. I find repeating myself in saying thank you.
    Last edited by florem; 09-08-2013 at 04:26 PM.

Would you happen to have a unity test project/files that would have to be on the web-host? I'm curious to find out if it would work with my host. The install doesn't seem complicated and I may even be able to do it through my Control-Panel, without special admin access.

If all it takes is a MIME-type for a new file-type to be served properly, apps might not run server-side but may simply be downloaded to the client to be run/launched through the client-side "Unity Web Player"?! (which makes more sense too, tbh) In which case one doesn't have to worry about server-cpu load. Which makes it completely viable to be hosted from a shared-hosting package with most hosting companies, so long the access to adding/updating mime-types is available, obviously.
    Last edited by nGAGE; 09-08-2013 at 05:38 PM.

I sent you a pm with the build. Thanks for the offer

I really don't think I'd be able to help you in anyway, unfortunately. Sorry.

However, could you send me a pm with the build as well if it's not too much trouble

I'm really interested in Unity, not very good at it, but I find it enjoyable so it's only a matter of time + I like looking at other peoples work.

"Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn."
    "The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."

I was able to set it all up in about 3 minutes on my host. I have a shared-hosting package, so nothing fancy at all.

Super easy to do, but I rather not share the link. It's not my software after all.
    Last edited by nGAGE; 09-09-2013 at 05:45 AM.

Ha... that was easy. Found my old (unfinished) Unity3D 101 Homework project and build it

http://dev.ngageonline.net/unity/3DB...finished).html
    or
    http://dev.ngageonline.net/unity/3DB...ished).unity3d

Controls:
    flight-controls: A, S, D, W or Arrow-keys
    shoot missiles: SPACE
    afterburner: SHIFT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast