MotionBuilder? Manually keyframe a streaming motion capture?

I would like to exactly match the motion of my model to a video of a hand drawn animated character. The easiest way I can think to do this is to have the
    hand drawn character animation on a video plane behind my streaming motion capture model and have the actor pose himself to match each pose of the hand drawn character in its state at the current frame ,keyframe it, then continue this process for the whole animation every few frames. How could I do this?

Good question, I'm sure you realise certain video types can be applied as materials to in Max, shown off in this vid for example:

But if you have a video playing on your reference plane in Max, you can't really associate 3D geometry with the 2D video in some form of automated process I have ever heard of.

In fact I would venture that it's not possible at all, currently or for the forseeable future, purely because I can't see a need for such a niche process that would be so mathematically complicated / processor hungry. I mean the idea of extracting 3D data from 2D imagery with no animation at all is rather cutting edge at the moment (see this thread). It shouldn't be too hard to key frame it by hand though right? The only problem I guess is if you have a few thousand frames to get through, at which point I would abandon the idea all together if you can!

What you describe is an old technique called rotoscoping and is not used much these days as we have IK and HIK to thank for making it obsolete.

But yes you can use video sequences in both MothionBuilder and 3ds Max but I would recommend that you don't use indexed video like avi as it's updates are to slow for scrubbing the time line.

What you want to do is to take a program like virtual dub or render to individual frames in single image format.

To make use of them in 3ds Max you can use a utility (under utility) that will convert the single images to an .ifl format. This is just a text based file that has each of the clips listed in order than can be loaded as a texture and then indexed based on the time line.

In Motion Builder, using the same images, you go to Textures and create a new diffused “map” material browse to the first shot of the sequence, set media access to disk, and click on the Image Sequence and apply to a plane element.

It's also a very interesting way of making dynamic textures. Try the same file in a bump or displacement slot and see what happens.

Am I right in saying that would just result in the video frames being loaded up as a useful/renderable material though?

Quote Originally Posted by RYAN9O View Post
    ...have the actor pose himself to match each pose of the hand drawn character in its state at the current frame ,keyframe it, then continue this process for the whole animation every few frames.
    The vibe I got from that is that the OP wants to load the video onto a plane, and then automatically have his skinned model copying a character present in the 2D video frames - kind of like reverse mocap with a model rather than a human

Humm a bit confusing as the topic says manually keyframe streaming motion capture.

Actually capturing motion from a video? Well I know it can be done to capture lipsync but it just sounds like a lot of extra work in setting up for full body. As you say it's such a niche process but by actor I'm assuming the op is referring to the actor rig in MotionBuilder.

Explain more Ryan I'm confused and intrigued