Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Steampunk, Cyberpunk, and Industrial combined. Equaling Influence only.

Hi all, I was thinking about the whole steampunk thing and I am wondering if we haven't lost sight of something that, I believe, we had decided upon earlier. That thing being that we were not actually doing steampunk, but instead were merely using the genre of steampunk as a source of inspiration.

The main difference being that nothing we would design would really be powered by steam, nor would it be a part of some alternate past. Instead I have envisioned that we would take that handcrafted and tailored look, and bring that to the future. Instead of everything looking like it was made in the same factory. The people would have their gear taken to a professional craftsman to make their outfit / weapons / armor, have a design that would fit together and look fashionable, or simple do it themselves. They would not simple buy some shirts and some Levis jean pants off the rack and take it home.

Thinking about this, I started looking into cyberpunk. A lot of cyberpunk is fairly similar to steampunk in that there is a unique hand-crafted and tailored look for the individual set to a future technology look. Of course cyberpunk is much more futuristic in style, where as steampunk has an alternate past look, which is more like low tech - high tech, if you follow my meaning.

I think what we should do, is try and marry three styles into our own thing, and those would be, steampunk, cyberpunk, and industrial high tech. Through combining that trinity we may find our own unique look.

I can also see that inner city people would be more likely to fall into a more cyberpunk look, where as people of the outskirts would be more likely to have a look more closely resembling steampunk.

I would also think that there would also be the middle class, salary-man type that would look a bit more industrial, only maybe have cyberpunk kids.

Then the military would also be more industrial and maybe the more top brass type would have a bit more flare.

this is kind of what i was hinting towards. I have found that i don't communicate very well when put on the spot. this has become a problem for me because it makes me sound ignorant. what i have been tryin to get at, is this.

steampunk to me is old, fashionable, with a mere modern touch. whether that be the whole steam n gears lingo, or something with low tech meets modern or high tech. my idea is something that if i can explain it, that all will like especially the way I have it broke down. I will supply some reference photos and explain what it is that i see happening for the model. my idea is simple its basically 3 motif's for each concept for either human or alien, 3 genres to make up the design. mine of course would be the 1800's, apocalyptic engineering, and modern tech.

for dress or characters, i have selected the pirate, ninja, and cowboy. essentially from this we can build on an understanding of life for either the alien or human base characters. my thinking is this, this is either in the future, or another planet. I would say another planet because of the crystal formations i see from the comics. so I'm sure that will be implemented. reverse engineering would come to mind as to say that both sides would investigate the others ability for combat and take on what was best suited for there combat style. as the player should have the same ability.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elvish model.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	284.0 KB 
ID:	73846 this pic shows some what of the majority of the idea i have for my scheme, she has all of most of what i would be lookin for as far as eye candy. I would change out her sword with something from a ninja or samurai or even the pirate since they are known for wielding swords, and i would add features to the sword to give that feel from genres with something like this. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	steampunk_sword__zanki__by_tamonten-d2ogz1x.jpg 
Views:	864 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	73847

I like the look of this sword, and how it plays out to my vision as far as getting the motifs to work together. the blade of course i would make modern, or maybe make it to where the edge of the blade glows because of the power from the crystal or the edge is the crystal. the handle i would modernize with something like these. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A350-b-500x500.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	73848Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000063_hilt.jpg 
Views:	457 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	73849 and through out the main area of the blade do some fancy etchings.

with these handles we can show a period so to speak of time and intelligence, gives the player a better feel, i think of his surroundings and period.

her pistol i would change from a flint lock, to a 1800's navy revolver. shown here, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1841468_01_modern_reproduction_ml_revolve_640.jpg 
Views:	595 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	73850 these pistols are a bit bland so of course we would want to dress them up with something like more fancy etchings I will make another post to continue
    Last edited by CPT-RON; 08-30-2013 at 01:32 AM.

the etchings for the pistol and maybe everything else would look something like this. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	73851

the navy revolver I have not made up my mind as to how we would change this and realy I dont feel that a revolver like this needs to be changed to much, its a beautiful gun as it sits.

her rifle I would do allot to, as in Click image for larger version. 

Name:	traditions-pa-pellet-flintlock-muzzleloader-black.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	73852 in this pic we see a front loader, with flint lock, and a modern stock. I would modify this rifle by adding rails to the stock. make it a bit more like machine carved plastic or metal much like what we see on our modern weaons today. the barrel i would not touch it is still keeping its period as it sits along with the plunger underneath. the flint lock would stay stylish but get a modern touch to it mainly because we wont be using flint lock but I/we can use a modern looking flint lock system for semi automatic fire by adding a clip to the underside of flint lock like an M4. a breach will have to be made adjacent to the flint lock and again adding a stylish etchings to the rifle.

so as you can see hopefully i am taking certain parts of each weapon, and giving them a style from a genre i have selected to be my base of of style. I wanted to have this rifle done to show all I am not even half way with this model, but when I am done hopefully people can get a better picture of what Im thinkin and will hopefully jump on board

The thing I am thinking of, is a level of at least modern tech, or mainly future tech but with the old time hand crafted style to it. So it could be an iPhone that functions like an iPhone, only better, but instead of being that sleek factory, all iPhone number blank look the same, you would have them with fancy designs carved into them, and maybe a design line of gold engraved around them. So they would go with your outfit, and not just a personalized case for them that you can snap on, but they would just be that personalized a product.

I am not seeing a need for old time weapons. I mean if they would not function as well as weapons we have now, or another way to say that is, if it is not something that we would chose to use in our modern time, then they would probably not use them in the future. That being said, it may resemble an old fashion gun, but instead actually be something like a ray gun, or plasma gun.

I see it as a return to hand craftsmanship. For some reason people have decided to go back to a stricter way of presenting themselves through fashion.

If we have the corporations taken the role of government for the people, I can see I kind of dress code and ideology of what it means to present yourself in the world, influencing a change back to a different sense of fashion where you wear outfits like we think of "costumes", not just "clothes".

On the flip side I see people also wanting to rebel against that, while at the same time not separating themselves from the idea of full costume tailored look, and ending up with a more cyberpunk look. But people would all wear some kind of "outfit" not just paints and shirts off the rack.

ok i give up, thats another tangent. I thought it was a good idea, i brought in elements that were modern and i kept a period for the weapon parts. I guess this is too much thinking, so i will just stick to modeling i guess. I'm comming to realize that i should just not say anything and let the big boys do there thing and I'll sit back in the play room with the barbies and tea time.

anyone for tea?

CPT-RON

I like the thought process wolf, i'd like to see some good examples of the style your thinking of.

if it's all about hand crafted fashion I could seen cpt-ron's example being a style of fashion for some

I think there's a happy medium. Look at Blade Runner, there are cyber/steam punk elements in that and still looks futuristic/industrial.

And Ron, stop that. You have good input, and there is a blend of ideas. For example, I like the pic of the chick, what if the pant straps were holding on carbon fiber armor pieces? It will take a fair amount of time to really nail down the look. Stick with it and don't be too quick to throw in the towel!

I LOVE BLADE RUNNER IT'S MY FAV OF ALL TIME!

I have always wanted to put together a good runner simulation

CPT-RON, I see no reason for you to give up. I wasn't saying that your ideas were bad by any means, and even if I was, I am just one guy, no more important to the team than you are. There will always be people seeing things in different ways. The fact is I love the look of the weapons that you showed, but I think they are cool for the detail and fashion that they have on them. They look hand crafted and look to be making a statement about the position of their owner.

All I was saying is, give that same kind of look to modern or future looking weapons and I think we will have something that looks and feels awesome. But yes, there will always be people that like antiques. I don't know much about guns. If it functions well then great. But I don't think we need to have, say, muskets or the like. It doesn't make sense to use a musket because they are so inaccurate and take such a long time to load. But if you are using something that can stand up to modern weapons, then it should work fine, well in a modern setting that is.

As far as the swords go, maybe the same style for the hilt but the blade would be some kind of energy blade. Just an idea.

Nitro, I had some ideas as I was looking through references, but they have gotten fuzzy sense then. I will look through them again and see what I come up with. I really want to try and get some concept stuff done. We will see what happens. I still draw pretty slow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast