4 Milestones instead of 3?: Could be a good thing

I've been thinking about the milestones. Where we have 3 at the moment: PVP, PVE, Combined full experience. I was thinking about another milestone that slots in just before the current Milestone 1.

I just made a post about locking in core features for milestone 1, and what I'm about to do is propose a new milestone 1 that still fits the criteria, but at the same time is still a distinctive thing.

So imagine you're in the game, the year is many decades after the wars ended and you have traveled to the fairgrounds of your city to participate in the first ever historical remembrance event. This event is a week long celebration of the ending of the wars and a reminder of where both humans and erglebergs(I dunno, I'm trying to get away from the world elythian) came from to get to their current point of peace.

You walk up to the main entrance and are greeted by a human shock trooper (well, it's a costume, but he's roleplaying it) who hands you a flyer to sign up and points you to the barrack shanty town set up. Later on, as you're walking around, a band of erglebergs(yeah, I know it's horrible, but maybe it'll lead somewhere) pull you over to tell you about a battle that is soon to take place in the east peninsula. You take note of the time of the battle.

There's live music playing as you walk around the rocky fairgrounds. A sand arena has been prepared for people to participate in a dueling tournament.

You decide to go to the museum tents where all the real historical weapons and war-machines are being showcased. You marvel at the fact despite these pieces of technology are nearly a century old, they're still highly formidable. An ergleberg veteran performs a live demonstration of a close quarters weapon against a mannequin, smashing it to splinters in just one strike.

END OF TREATMENT.

What I'm proposing is we have 4 Milestones. This new early milestone will be the remembrance fair, which would be a very nice excuse for us to get some nice visual progress made. It would allow us to get art assets into the game and working.
    We could develop the PvP combat in it's purest form: Just Players vs Players, no objectives. Which is essentially dueling in most mmos.
    We would build the museum, which would allow us to get some of the world lore into the game.
    Of course we would also be able to get sounds and animations and see how that works and performs.
    Overall I think it would be a fun experience to do. We'd be able to test the capabilities of Unity too.

After we get this fair working (it would be multiplayer networked too), we can re use a lot in Milestone 2, the PVP Objective Battle milestone.

So what do you think?
    I'm so negative, like an electron.

First of, why do you want to get away from Elythain? i like the name

Secondly if i understand correctly the player would just be walker around and absorbing the world. It's an interesting teaser for what is to come.

I don't know if its really a milestone of the Game but maybe of the project in general. It could be basically a tech demo and something to get people interested. i'm thinking Unity Web Broswers game?

BTW i love the way you thought about the world and took the time to paint the picture.

Not sure what I think of fixed milestone in general. Let alone enumerating them but there we go. The feature list is still in development and I'm much rather focus on what elements need to be included in the initial core concept than what's to come down the line.

That said; having a milestone dedicated to adding extra world detail in general is a nice idea.

First of, why do you want to get away from Elythain? i like the name
    I hate to break it to you, but it's a terribly generic and uninspiring name. It was never more than a place holder that Zak came up with to enable discussion. It's not really a massive top priority but it's a slow burn thing anyway.
    Last edited by NATO_chrisjm; 08-28-2013 at 02:36 PM.

I don't think we should ever really fix anything, always keep things open to change at any point. But I like to have at least a "current plan of action" set up. Which is for lack of a better word, locked in (until we decide to change it).
    I'm so negative, like an electron.