MOBA Influences: Which ones shall we take?

Hey guys, starting another thread with more things to talk about. NATO has mentioned that he wants the game to have MOBA style elements, initial thoughts would suggest that means the MMO would BE a MOBA game at first. Of course this is untrue, what it really means is the MMO will have certain influences from MOBA games. So let's talk about that now. Hopefully we'll have at least something decided upon by next week.

So for the uninitiated, MOBA stands for Multiplayer Online Battle Arena. Which to me personally is a stupid name, as that is pretty much what every single online versus game is... EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. But for now we're stuck with MOBA meaning one genre of game. I don't actually play them, so I may have some information incorrect, correct me if I make any mistakes.

MOBA games consist of a couple of main elements:
    Two teams versing each other.
    A constant stream of minions who will follow a path to the enemy base, stopping to fight any resistance along the way.
    The players' goal is to upset this balance of minions and defences by strategicially dealing damage and pushing the way forward, allowing the minions to destroy the enemy base.

Of course the players can usually deal some damage themselves, but the main goal is to get your minions into the enemy base.

MOBA games often also have a levelling up system, often on a round by round basis with some limited persistant levelling. The general goal of a MOBA game is not about being the highest persistent level to win, but to simply know how to play the game better than the opponent.

Another major aspect to MOBA games is a lot of the enjoyment comes from learning all the intricacies of that particular game; the items, the skills, the characters etc. The process of learning and experimenting with these combinations is a huge part of the game.

There are loads of things I missed because this message is getting too long, but we're not build a MOBA anyway, we just want some inspiration from it. So let's get discussion what aspects of a MOBA we could make use of, and also how they would work in our game. Try to keep things as feasible(realistically doable) as possible.
    I'm so negative, like an electron.

initial thoughts would suggest that means the MMO would BE a MOBA game at first. Of course this is untrue
    False. What I'm looking at has a lot more in common with a MOBA than an MMO.

I also have a large post detailing MOBA gameplay at length, and how I intend to change it to implement an MMO experience. I'm just proof reading it / checking I didn't miss anything before posting it.

EDIT: Also, afford me a bit of trust. I have a strong concept that I'm working though, like any design it takes time. This concept might not be exactly what everyone is looking for but it will not only be playable but also deliverable, and should have lots of replay value as well as room to expand.

EDIT2: It would be great if you could outline what you don't like about MOBA games in detail.
    Last edited by NATO_chrisjm; 08-23-2013 at 07:56 AM.

Briefly, there are a couple of things I don't like about MOBA games, but I'll write up a detailed version for you. The detailed version will take about 2 weeks as I'll need to sort out my thoughts completely.

Anyway, the major things I don't like about MOBA games are:

the long rounds, 40 minutes being average. This is an interesting one, because I play Magic The Gathering, and those rounds can sometimes go for 50 minutes. So I'll have to have a good think about that.

The huge synergy requirements of the players the game imposes on each team results more often than not, a noob pulling their allies down. Coupled with the 40 minute game times and the fact in most MOBA games, if you drop out early, you get punished. This has the result of players often acting brutally aggressive to their own team mates.

The constant stream of minions makes the game feel incredibly repetetive and boring.

The obvious gameyness of a MOBA. I play games on PC to be immersed in a world, or to get my imagination going. I don't play them for a competitive experience. Naturally some games can do both at once and I'll still play those games.

Those are the main reasons, I'll expand that short description out earlier.

Also, I'd just like to say that as long as you don't go insane (you don't seem insane) with your game design decisions, I'll support whatever you decide with as much effort as is reasonable.
    I'm so negative, like an electron.

I also have a large post detailing MOBA gameplay at length, and how I intend to change it to implement an MMO experience. I'm just proof reading it / checking I didn't miss anything before posting it.
    Although we went into detail in that topic it i think the main concern was being able to deliver something playable in a reasonable amount of time. I think we solved that with our milestones.

However it hasn't really been clear exactly what aspects of a MOBA style game you want to include, it seemed so far to be lightly based on a MOBA style. I think get a rough design down and let us go over it and through around some ideas. Like what aspects of a MOBA game do you want to see?

EDIT: Never mind i just found your new post, looks like i have some reading to do.
    Last edited by nitro52; 08-25-2013 at 01:54 AM.

A couple of the biggest things for me are persistence and customization. I like the idea of building my character up and keeping the gear, abilities, accomplishments, appearances and such, of my character. The MOBA-style of typically restarting your character and abilities each match is something I would like to steer away from in the final game. Of course, I understand that during development, that sort of template-style testing is necessary, but it is my hope that it won't be a permanent limitation of gameplay.

My thoughts on the moba elements are to steal the volume based attack abilities, and the vast array of abilities available to the players. If we use the system I proposed it should be easy to churn out abilities (at least to test) fairly quickly.

I dont think we want the round by round leveling, but we could make items provide new abilities rather then just passive stats. This means that equiping a new pistol would do more then just buff your damage it would change what abilities you have access to. This allows for some on the fly changes while keeping the universe believable.

The other element I would like to add would be a horizontal rather then vertical system. This means that instead of becoming a bigger statistical beast as you level, the players would just gain a wider array of abilities to use instead.