Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Computer Science and Programming Advices

Hello,

I'm going to start Computer Science this year and we will be learned C programming language in the first year than in second year, we will get Java Programming.I just wondered whether you could suggest some things to me spend my leisure time well and productive or we can expand these and could you tell me to do things or not do during my universty time ? What technologies should i learn during my education.

Thank You

Given the things you will learn at uni I would suggest either C++ or Java. This way you will be knowledgeable regarding the things they will teach. Plus you will be able to ask them about things that don't make sense to you regarding the said languages.

I think you should learn C language first and work hard on it. It is a basic language and necessary for all language.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirenpatel View Post
    I think you should learn C language first and work hard on it. It is a basic language and necessary for all language.
    I disagree, learn java, which will then allow you to learn both c# and c++, once you fully understand OOP, you are set for life.

C itself though still widely used, isn't something i'd spend a massive amount of time trying to learn, it will come easier after you learn the above 3, you'll be amazed how you can just absorb a programming book in a weekend after you have some serious experience with other languages and confidence in yourself.
    Current Dev machine: Intel Core i7 3930K Asus P9X79 Pro, 64 gb DDR3, EVGA GTX 590 3gb, Corsair 750 W PSU, ThermoCool Armor Case, 3x Asus 27" LED's, Kingston HyperX 120 gb SSD x2 0,1 Raid ... I like to go fast

Dev Laptop: Macbook Pro 15'' 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, 16GB, 512GB ssd, Nvidia Geforce GT 750m 2GB

Good Bad, don't matter, im the man with the gun.
    Check out my current Shadowrun/Cyberpunk MMO project at coming soon (

Quote Originally Posted by Hirenpatel View Post
    No , You should complete "Computer science" first then seek "C" language..
    The reason of behind it you have got enough knowledge before learning "C" Language.
    Now its upto also which you thing better do if firstly..

an old thread resurrected.

I agree with alptraum360, learn java.... You know what learn a programming language that is strongly type and something that you could not start without writing the word class.

I don't think struct is commonly used these days, but it is still worth studying. Just to make you more flexible.

Since this thread is over a year old, how did the 2nd year learning Java go? What are you thoughts now when comparing C with Java?
    C++, 3D OpenGL and Game Programming video tutorials:
    www.MarekKnows.com
    Play my free games: Ghost Toast, Zing, Jewel Thief

I just graduated from University with an honours degree in Computer Games Software Development, 1st year was C#, 2nd and third year was C++ and Direct X as well as Java for Android apps, Since leaving tho I've sent away 84 job applications and had only 3 interviews but in those 3 interviews they had a common theme and that was software testing they seemed to not be concerned much about what languages I knew and were more interested in what I knew about testing and software lifecycles.

majority of job openings im seeing for new CS grads is gonna be for testing, you simply dont have any real world experience for anything else companies feel....im not sure I totally agree with them on that..but its easy to understand where they are coming from. The other end of things is you can always apply for startup companies and have a pretty good chance of getting hired, if you dont mind the 'iffy' situation of the company going under and your stock options being worthless.

Rewards are huge in software dev, you just have to make it threw the first couple of years till your established.
    Current Dev machine: Intel Core i7 3930K Asus P9X79 Pro, 64 gb DDR3, EVGA GTX 590 3gb, Corsair 750 W PSU, ThermoCool Armor Case, 3x Asus 27" LED's, Kingston HyperX 120 gb SSD x2 0,1 Raid ... I like to go fast

Dev Laptop: Macbook Pro 15'' 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, 16GB, 512GB ssd, Nvidia Geforce GT 750m 2GB

Good Bad, don't matter, im the man with the gun.
    Check out my current Shadowrun/Cyberpunk MMO project at coming soon (

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast