Recommendations from the Community

Hey Everyone,

I've been a member sponsor off and on on 3D Buzz for quite some time now. They've help guide my career choice and advance my learning, partnering with my education in school. One of the topics that no matter how hard I try I struggle with is Game Programming. I've taken 3 C#101 courses over the years but what I don't ever seem to find is courses related to game architecture. I can read code, usually have to look up API reference if I'm coding myself (I'm a designer, more art oriented). I'm not looking to become a professional programmer, but I want to be able to implement my game ideas using proper techniques. Is there a 3DBuzz course that delves directly into architecture and code organization for games. Or some good book references? I've recently picked up Game Coding Complete by McShaffry and Graham but its a tome and coupled with other projects a slow read.

Unity, which is my most commonly used Engine, seems to focus on scripts running on game objects. This is a technique that I commonly used back in the days of Flash programming in AS2. Once, AS3 came out, I focused on being more object oriented. These two concepts seem to contradict either. Does anyone have advice for learning architecture best practices?

My preferred method would be to learn by utilizing practical examples. The UDK Kismet scripting course was amazing at that, because I could see the reason behind what I was doing. But searching and reordering strings in C# makes me waver... Sorry for the seemingly random thought dump. Advice?
    "Shellie! Shellie! The medicines!!"

Well for best practices I've always thought it's just a matter of learning from those tomes (Came Coding Complete for example). I'm not experienced enough to offer advice beyond that, I'm currently learning to build games using Unity and weekly mini projects.

A good idea is probably to start learning Generic programming design patters, not specifically focused on games. It's probably also a very great idea if you took a look at the UDK source code, Cryengine 3 source code and the source engine source code.

These are all really big AAA engines and if you understood the code architecture they are using you'll have a big advantage for best practices. Best part:you can access the source code for all those things for free.
    I'm so negative, like an electron.

Thanks for the tip. I've started (then stopped for a while) going through UDK Game Programming with UnrealScript. Might be a good time to go back to it. I think the toughest part is that I don't particularly like programming. It's like I'm forcing myself to learn it. Whenever something more art related grabs my attention I divert. But, everyone I know keeps saying how much better a game designer is who can program and do art and do design. Its tough out there.

Once you get the hang of it, it becomes fun. Don't push yourself too hard, just try to learn new stuff every week. This amount of learning is plenty for someone not intending to be a professional programmer.

If i had the time I'd organise some sort of weekly project with you to get both our skills up, but I'm busy learning to make games with Unity. I still like the discussion though.

Agreed. Thanks again for the tips. Do you have a portfolio site or blog. I'd like to see your progress, it may help out if you don't mind. Mine's http://www.mysorethumbs.com. I have some things I've done for work and school and fun.

I need to start updating it again. www.ironssouls.info

I spend most of my time working on the projects than documenting them, I'll try and make the time to at least do boring fact updates.