Maya to Realflow and After Effects to make a movie?

I am working on a project right now to model how the ocean currents travel around. I need to use realflow to animate the currents in regards to salinity,density, temp, and etc. I am only a beginner and so I was also told that AE may be important to this project as well. Has anyone done anything like this? I am having a little trouble figuring out how to go about this.

What I have done is taken my Maya .obj and exported it to Realflow, and from there, I have other issues, but thats for another time.

Do I go to realflow first, do my currents, then bring it into AE, to complete the movie? Can/Should I just use Maya to complete the movie? Basically I am asking if my course of actions seem right. I can't figure out a plan to follow and that is getting to me.

I've looked around, but have not been able to find anything that gave me a good answer, or the situations were not close enough.

Thank you for your time and help!

-Rich
    Last edited by nr3uk; 05-29-2013 at 10:46 AM.

If you can export what ever you are doing from Realflow out as an image sequence then I guess you you could be on the right track.

From the looks of it (I did a quick Google search) Realflow is a dynamics simulator. I would think (now this is all assumption so I could be off....way off) that you would do all of your “animating” (simulation) in Realflow, bake the simulation into keyframes and then import it back into Maya. From Maya you would then do some more tweaking (if need be) then render out an image sequence. Once you have your image sequence you would import it into After Effects and do the “compositing”. Also you would be able to take care of any other post work (color correction, effects and other what nots). From After Effects you would render out your movie (preferably with Adobe Media Encoder).

Ether way you are going to want to end up with some image sequences and combine (composite) them in After Effects.

i think you should to watch some videos and tutorials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYnjk7hXILA
    The best brains of the nation may be found on the last benches of the classroom

- APJ Abdul Kalam

Quote Originally Posted by PencilShavings View Post
    If you can export what ever you are doing from Realflow out as an image sequence then I guess you you could be on the right track.

From the looks of it (I did a quick Google search) Realflow is a dynamics simulator. I would think (now this is all assumption so I could be off....way off) that you would do all of your “animating” (simulation) in Realflow, bake the simulation into keyframes and then import it back into Maya. From Maya you would then do some more tweaking (if need be) then render out an image sequence. Once you have your image sequence you would import it into After Effects and do the “compositing”. Also you would be able to take care of any other post work (color correction, effects and other what nots). From After Effects you would render out your movie (preferably with Adobe Media Encoder).

Ether way you are going to want to end up with some image sequences and combine (composite) them in After Effects.
    Thanks a lot! This was very helpful. I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by pradeep pal View Post
    i think you should to watch some videos and tutorials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYnjk7hXILA
    Thank you too! I saw this tut earlier, but it didn't provide me with enough information.
    Last edited by nr3uk; 06-03-2013 at 09:01 AM.