Help! Trying to animate lights in 3ds Max..

I'm trying to make a scene where the camera is staring at a dimly lit light and it pulls away as other lights in the scene are revealed and they all start to grow brighter at different times. I thought it would be as simple as animating the camera.. key framing when each was dim and when it was bright and adjusting the settings accordingly. But when i go to Tools>Views - Grab Viewport>Create Animated Sequence and it renders a rough draft version. Its just pitch black, doesn't want to animate any light at all. I've looked down the settings to what its rendering and lights should be showing. I'm attempting all this for the first time and I'm no expert! I'm a uni student. So any advice can you please given in the simplest terms thanks

I don't think you can actually see the brightness of each light and how it changes over time when viewing your animated sequence. Alternatively, what I would do: depending on how fast your lights get brighter, render the scene after each light enters the view, and slightly after that to see if it brightens as you wanted it to. Rendering frames throughout your timeline may give you a quick look at what you should be expecting.

When you say 'adjusting the settings accordingly', what settings are they? I would say either the animated sequence preview is not showing the light intensity animation, and what you have will look fine when you do a proper render, OR you're animated light intensities are not set up correctly. Maybe your light fall-offs are far too small, or some exposure setting on the camera is off. What type of lights are you using and what is your choice of renderer?

Also I just noticed you posted this 10 days ago so you've probably sorted it out by now sorry :P