Lightbulb MMO thoughts and Ideas

I think i have finally caught up with most of the MMO dev class, at least with the Design/Story aspect and for the most part you you ended up with the same sort of conclusions that i would have. I just wanted to through in a few concepts in case no one has thought of them yet.

1. Player Levels/Skills
    I like the idea of a skill system that will increase or decrease a skill based on how much you use it. Of course there would need to be a limit to how much you can develop. For example i could picture a skill tree that fans out from a central point with something like Melee combat tree on fanning out to the left, Ranged Weapons to the top, Spells to the right. If you pick up a run from the start it will slowly creep up the Ranged weapons tree unlocking new abilities and improvements. However like in real life you might decide to change your focus to Spells. (focus could lock a tree so you don't lose strength in that tree by not using it) You would slowly start using more and more spells but like in real life the less you use something the more you forget so you would start decreasing in Ranged Weapons skill tree. the points lost in Ranged weapons would be used in other skill area's.

this idea to me helps to eliminate the drain felt by re-rolling and grinding a new character up to max level just because you wanted to play a different style of character. It also means that all players start the same but will vary based on the way they like to play.

I would like to suggest combining this system with a Player Level. for example you still gain xp for killing things and doing quests and stuff and after a while you level up. What this could do is first provide a way that some zones are more dangerous than others and can't be accessed until later in the game once you have enough experience. the other thing it could do is act as a multiplier for your skills.

2. Zone Levels
    One thing that used to frustrate the hell our of me, and i'm sure everyone, is that lvl 85 rouge that would 1hit your level 20 character and and then camp your corpse and all you want to do its level up your character. I think Guild wars 2 handled this well, I'd like to see your level reduced to be relatively the same as the zone you are currently in. if the zone is 15 -20 then you should be lowered enough that you are still powerful in compared to players that level but maybe with the help of some other you could defeat them. Maybe scaled down to a 22 or something.

3. Separate loot for assists
    Another thing GW2 solved with the concept of ninjas by providing separate loot for each play. this also means that if you joined in to a fight half way through you could also benefit from assisting, maybe not full xp but you should get something.

So they are some of the core mechanics i would love to see, and i think you have some great ideas for an enjoyable game. I would like to say one last thing though. Listing to your meetings it was starting to make me cringe a bit with the scope creep. the sheer scale of some of the things you want to do is crazy. Have you had a serious sit down to think about ok what features/mechanics are absolutely critical, what could be added as expansions and maybe what would just not be worth the development time. Remember its often best to focus on making a smaller amount of the core really really good than implementing lots of stuff that is mediocre

I just discovered the Concept art classes, i do retract my idea of scope creep a little bit, the first few sessions it seemed like the main team was only about 5-10 people. After listening to the concept art class it does seem like there is more participation. however there is still so much you could do with the ideas already raised.

Awesome ideas and feedback, Nitro! Yeah, in the concept class there is, and will probably continue to be, some scope/feature creep. But always with the knowledge that a design team will get off the ground sometime soon and start telling us what we can/can't do. In the meantime we just hope to develop a rich backstory/ideas/art both for the MMO and as a learning/skillbuilding asset for the participants. I hope we'll get to see you around the concept meetings, and it certainly sounds like you'd have some great input for the design team (that will hopefully exist very soon)

I think the points made by Nitro are excellent. As we work on the concept art, back story and comic, we need to be sure of a couple things:

1) Whatever is in the story/comic world should be crafted so it is optional, but not essential for game play.

2) It should not conflict with the direction the folks are taking who are going to be building game mechanics in real code.

I'm not a gamer myself, but I really like Nato's points on skills. It is more real-life. Someone who is fcoused on magic can also be skilled in close quarter combat.
    Someone expert in long range weapons migh also have some healing power, or be able to either go invisible, or become cameleon-like. Players should have some mix and match options. I especially like the "use it or lose it" aspect, so we don't get, as Derek likes to say, someone with no life playing 15 hours a day, gaining every power on Elythia, and dominating the game. It's a game. It should have something to offer new and experienced players. People who can only join in on weekends, etc.

At any rate, would love to have regular feedback from Nato and the other game-shapers on our story line, so we are complementary, rather than in conflict.

The way i would envision the skill tree (network) to work is something like this image
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skill Network Concept(small).png 
Views:	186 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	73609

I would see this as being a maxed out character. The focus is in i limited number of major branches. Each branch would generally unlock a new ability.

I don't think you should loose skills just over time, for example you wouldn't want to go on holiday and come but to find a much weaker character. Instead i see it as you having a maximum amount of storage space. Learning something new would reduce a skill that is not used that often and is not your focus. Setting a focus would ensure you don't loose skill from that branch or sub branches but focus is limited.

In the concept the left tree could be spells, the top could be melee and the left ranged weapons. if the player starts using more melee is start reducing the range and filling the melee. it will not reduce spells because it is locked.

You could also have a network like the diagram for all sorts of skill groups. for example one for Combat skills, one for Crafting Skills and one for Modifications (hacking, augmentation, crystals implants)

Great talk people, keep it up! The ideas we have need to be sharpen, made pure by fire!
    Crow