Thread: Barcode Scanner

Barcode Scanner

Alright; so my school wants me to get a solution working that will allow students to check in and out with thier ID cards (barcodes). The front end web application has been written by me already, now I am writing the back-end. What I need is a barcode scanner that uses USB and that I can acsess though my program instead of the reader just dumping the barcode onto the computer as keyboard input.

What I have come up with is using a scanner like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16838130026 then, writing code to intercept the HID communication between the computer and scanner, removing the input from the stdin before any other software can procsess it, then handling it on my own from there. I would also like a scanner that can be set to automaticly read a barcode if you just swipe it infront of the screen. Now that I think about it, a barcode swiper type deal would be a good solution too.

I'm sure some people here have had experence with these devices. Any advice would be helpfull

Thanks

You need a scanner that doesn't require the user to press the trigger button. Apparently This one does just that.

As for intercepting the input, is there any reason why you don't want to read the data from stdin?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_charisma View Post
    You need a scanner that doesn't require the user to press the trigger button. Apparently This one does just that.

As for intercepting the input, is there any reason why you don't want to read the data from stdin?
    As a matter of fact I do. The machine that will be running the software is used by the secretary; and cannot be tied up to having to have the software be always in the foreground. There is no machine we can just let sit there and do this for us, so we need to find a solution that can be run in the background.

Oh, and thanks for the link

Ah, thought it might be something like that.
    I did some looking around on the Metrologic website, and by the looks of it you can configure the scanner to either act as keyboard input, or input from a serial port.

Here's the manual as PDF

ftp://ftp.metrologic.com/pub/downloa...s/00-02544.pdf

And here's the winXP driver for serial emulation:

ftp://ftp.metrologic.com/pub/downloa...mtlgpos_2k.zip

Dunno how easy it would be. I guess you'd have a program that polls the serial port at a set interval, and read the scan in. You'd have to look into it a lot more than I have though

Quote Originally Posted by mr_charisma View Post
    You'd have to look into it a lot more than I have though
    Oh, that's quite all right, I just needed someone to point in the right direction.. Thanks for the help, I'll post back with progress

Ive been considering something similar for the tape lables for backups at work we move around 50 LTO3s worth of data around minimum on a monday, and upto 8 other tapes or so a day, and it would be nice to keep track more accurately than people writing numbers.. However, the cost of the scanner seems very high - I wanted to find a handheld one where you could carry it around and scan in an "array of numbers" kinda deal and then offload them to a computer later.. when I saw the cost of the devices looking to be around 500 pounds for ones that can hold a few numbers in memory.. I gave up.
    Delphi !ROCKS!
    Got a question? Read this first!!!
    "You gotta help us, Doc. We've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas"

Quote Originally Posted by <> View Post
    Alright; so my school wants me to get a solution working that will allow students to check in and out with thier ID cards (barcodes). The front end web application has been written by me already, now I am writing the back-end. What I need is a .NET barcode scanner library that uses USB and that I can acsess though my program instead of the reader just dumping the barcode onto the computer as keyboard input.

What I have come up with is using a scanner like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16838130026 then, writing code to intercept the HID communication between the computer and scanner, removing the input from the stdin before any other software can procsess it, then handling it on my own from there. I would also like a scanner that can be set to automaticly read a barcode if you just swipe it infront of the screen. Now that I think about it, a barcode swiper type deal would be a good solution too.

I'm sure some people here have had experence with these devices. Any advice would be helpfull

Thanks
    Well, I once read a post on barcode scanner and it's also a school project. Hope it will offer some help.
    http://www.designerstalk.com/forums/...-database.html

Wykk is offline (pronounced like "Wick")
    Braaaaaiiiiiinnssssss...

(6 year TO THE DAY dead thread rises from the grave! Happy birthday thread!)
    There was a moment last night, when she was sandwiched between the two Finnish dwarves and the Maori tribesman, where I thought "Wow I could really spend the rest of my life with this woman.."

This is only going to go downhill, locked.