Turbosmooth Problem

Hey everyone, sorry for spamming the forum here but I've run into another problem :P I am pretty bad modeling anything that isn't primarily flat surfaces or simple cylinders so this spaceship that I'm modeling for a friend is giving me quite a bit of trouble.

I've created the basic body with success thanks to someones input earlier, but now that I've added the framework for windows onto the front of the ship the turbosmooth modifer creates issues. Without it my body is lacking quite a bit so I was wondering if there was a way around this issue? I have no idea how to solve this problem so any suggestions are welcomed.

Body with turbosmooth, not too bad
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Body Smoothed.png 
Views:	722 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	73568

Windows on the cockpit

Name:	Windows.png 
Views:	562 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	73570

Turbosmooth with the windows, obvious issues

Name:	Windows Smooth.png 
Views:	930 
Size:	266.6 KB 
ID:	73569

The one thing I tried to do was separate the window frame from the rest of the ship so when I added a turbsmooth that part wouldn't be affects, but that just created gaps between the frame and the body so although close to what I wanted it still caused issues that couldn't be resolved. That was the only real idea I had :/

Heya I didnt realy get if you needed help on the body aswell?

but for the cockpit after looking at the low poly and the high poly i noticed some things so i highlighted them
    if you want send me 3dsmax file and i can be more helpful by highlighting other problems areas and then i would be able to give you decent pictures on how to solve them

but in general with models that you turbosmooth you want to work in quads only use triangles when you really cant do it without

N-gons (polygons with more than 4 vertices) you can solve by connecting/cutting to somewhere else

anyway good luck bud
    Problem areas
    Life is too short to worry about things

Yeah, what bakil said! Also remember if you need to retain a sharp edge while using turbosmooth on an entire model you need to cut extra 'anchor' edges, have a look at these images to get what I mean:

Here is a basic shape we want to turbosmooth:

This is what it looks like with 2 iterations (ew ):

By adding in extra edges where the turbosmooth rounds down the geometry too much, we can retain some of the original shape

And the result is much closer to the original

Don't forget you can turbosmooth just specific polygons if you want, using a polyselect modifier. This might alleviate problems requiring extra 'anchor' edges entirely, but don't forget no shape really has a razor like edge so even a tiny bit of subtle smoothing is good. You should also learn about auto-smooth and smoothing groups from Max's help files.

Regarding your other question about actually creating polys, you have several choices. The cut tool is very useful, but the connect tool is great too. To use connect, you select two or more edges which are perpendicular to the edge you want to create, and then just hit connect. The slice tools are also very useful.

Euhm wingnutnelson sorry for having comments on ur post to help TtnAtlas
    but i saw some n-gons in your example and my teachers hammered it into our brains to not do that so i got to just say something about it

Usually when you look at a subdivided mesh (you applied turbosmooth to it or something similar) when you see a lot of lines on one spot then it probably doesnt look good when you turn the wires off

->

thats why you need to keep the edges going along the polygon

(painted over your low poly wingnutnelson)

if the edges are kept in quads like this TtnAtlas the high poly should look ok (no pinching etc)

now what happens when you get soo many supporting edged things can get "messy" (lots of lines parallel and close to each other)

->

the ones marked in blue are good! these actualy help the shape to form into the way you want it
    the ones marked in red dont change anything to the shape they are just there because you needed them on another side of the object
    in case like this it doesnt really matter to just keep them but if you have a more complex shape you would want to reduce them
    for that you can do this

you can do it by reducing them (3 edges to 1 edge) or by bending them away in another direction
    !!!WARNING!!! only do this on flat sides and not too close to an edge or you high poly model might get "pinched" on certain edges

anyway TtnAtlas in the end i hope we are helping you ^^
    Life is too short to worry about things

Haha yeah I know, I was just concentrating on showing how to retain the shape on the very top of the surface, those edges you added should definitely be present as well for a decent model

You guys have all been extremely helpful. I'll be going over these when I get back from a visit home but this will probably fix my problem/teach me a lot. Thank you all! I'll probably run into more problems pretty soon so please keep a look out for any future posts of mine because I have no formal training to any and all help is always appreciated