Converting a Heightmap to a Mesh?

Is it possible to convert a heightmap in to a mesh?

I'm new to this hole heightmap thing so forgive me if this sounds....odd? to complicated or what is this guy thinking?

I generated a terrain inside of L3DT and created something I thought was doable. I then exported the heightmap (RAW) and brought it into Unity. After some play tests, I found that parts of the map were way to steep. I tried playing with the Terrain Height, but I lost to much detail in some areas that I did not really want effected. I tried using the sculpting tool to lower the parts I wanted lower, however it just didn't look right.

After staring at it I thought to myself, if this was a mesh I could just scale the parts that needed to be lower while still retaining detail in the rest.

So I would like to import the heightmap into Maya (preferred) or Blender (still learning but doable), convert it into an editable polygon, make the necessity changes then export the changes into a new heightmap. Then bring it back into Unity for more play testing.

Is this possible? Or are height maps only editable with a 2DImage editors (Photoshop) or sculpting tools such as the ones in Unity & L3DT.

Have a play with either:
    Texture to Geometry or Displacement to Polygons under the Modify>Convert... menu

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Sorry for such a late reply but I thought I might post an update.

I found a script (for Unity) that turns height maps to obj files. There is also a script that turns meshs back into height maps.

http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?ti...ainObjExporter