Thread: New To This...

New To This...

I am almost completely fresh here. ._. The most experience that I have with anything 3D would be mapping in Unreal Tournament 99 and Unreal Tournament 2004. I was actually trying to figure out how to make a player model work on server on UT2k4 when I stumbled upon a thread on epicgames's forums where someone was looking for help with skeletons... Around the middle was a link to this site, and I thought, "Hey, I wanna try and get into this" and thought that this would be a good place to start.
    So my question is: What should I use to begin modelling?

I would stick with Blender. Its a kick-ass Application for 3d Modelling and 3D-Buzz offers a great Blender-Class for Beginners.
    a bit saved is a bit earned

Blender and Zbrush are very good software to learn modeling, blendercookie has a great citizen series wich explain very well the modeling workflow.

I'm not quite to the point of being able to buy aoftware, nor do I have a very advanced laptop -- just an old '05 Inspiron -- so are those free? ._.

Blender is free, Zbrush is not though.

If you are a student in any way, shape, or form you can download a student version of Mudbox for free from Autodesk. As well as Maya or 3ds Max.

:O. I'm guessing those have fewer commands than if I were to buy them, huh?

No, the student versions are fully functional in that you just need to sign a waiver stating that you will not use your license to produce work in a commercial manner. In other words, you will not make money using free/discounted software.
    Dez
    Pipeline Technical Director
    Legend 3D | VFX

Alright, sounds good
    I work the next few days so I won't be able to look into it just yet, but I'll let you guys know how it goes.
    Thank you so much for the help!